Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tips for a 10.99 No accessory belt?

How much Hp you think you can pick up by using NO accessory belt what so ever. I only have a stock water pump and a newer alt. Has anyone ran down the track without one before? I would think it would be very risky...what do you think>? Bascially, I want to get into the 10's with this set up. You can see my sig for Info. I am seeing what tips or pointers I could do to achieve the goal of getting into the 10's. I have done many tricks and short-cuts already but if you have one, please do share. I do have a video up here of my 11.24 pass. I could repost it if some would like. Thanks to everyone...

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Can it be done, yes, of course. I remember when MM&FF did it on some cars to hit an ET. The Alt is not a big deal, but no water pump, means no water circulating around the block.

If you do it, here is what I would do. Warm the engine up prior to the pass. Shut it down, and then pull the belt. You have to ensure that you will not have to have it running long before the run. Make the pass and shut it down and get the belt back on.

The much safer alternative is a electric water pump, or even one of those cheap Moroso kits that its a motor that spins your stock pump.
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=MOR-63750&autoview=sku

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
I tried it on my 91 GT years ago on the dyno. The engine made 21rwhp more. At that point in time, I had a completely stock accessory drive setup.

·
Registered
740 Posts
also make sure you have a good strong battery.

i tried one night and the battery didn't have enough juice, it didn't want to spin any higher than 4000 rpms.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
awesome...thanks. Robot, when I go to the track, you wanna meet up there? Should be in the coming weeks..

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
also make sure you have a good strong battery.

i tried one night and the battery didn't have enough juice, it didn't want to spin any higher than 4000 rpms.
Good point, especially if you are running MSD boxes, etc. I'm sure everyone has seen the pinks episode when Nate lost his car due to a dead battery from running no alt.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I don't know about no belt at all,but I picked up 4 tenths by pulling all my accessories,and only running a w/p,crank,and alt. I was happy with that.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know about no belt at all,but I picked up 4 tenths by pulling all my accessories,and only running a w/p,crank,and alt. I was happy with that.
Humm..4 tenths is nice. I am considering it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yeah,4 tenths for a few hours of work(including wiring up the electric fans and doing the tensioner mod)and a $20.00 belt.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I did this on a completely stock 5.0 5spd GT and street radials. I picked up .2 and 3mph with more tirespin due to the increased power. I would pull the belt in the lanes, push it to the front, start it, short burnout and then make the pass. I would turn the car off as soon as I'd cross the finish and then put the belt back on while on the return road.

·
Registered
613 Posts
How much Hp you think you can pick up by using NO accessory belt what so ever. I only have a stock water pump and a newer alt. Has anyone ran down the track without one before? I would think it would be very risky...what do you think>? Bascially, I want to get into the 10's with this set up. You can see my sig for Info. I am seeing what tips or pointers I could do to achieve the goal of getting into the 10's. I have done many tricks and short-cuts already but if you have one, please do share. I do have a video up here of my 11.24 pass. I could repost it if some would like. Thanks to everyone...
I've done it in testing. It's worth a few hundreths maybe a .10th depends on the rest of your set up and how much drag your getting. . I did mine back to back same day and my car is consistent.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Tom. All I have is a stock water pump and alt.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Thanks Tom. All I have is a stock water pump and alt.
If you don't have powersteering the main drag is in the water pump and some in the alt. depending on pulley size. You'll probably pick up a few hundreths. But make sure the engine is cold before doing it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts