Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 88 lx that was a 4cyl car that i converted to a 8cyl, I took it 2 inspection this past weekend and it failed really bad! I was just wondering if its possible that the vin# came up as a 4cyl and they ran the test based on the vin, cause my readings were off big time! Another thing i was wondering about, if you run a high octane fuel will that throw off the test? Just looking for opions on how to pass the great sniffer!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Inspections are done by the VIN on the car.
You will need to find a friendly private garage to pass the sniffer test. The state inspector will be looking for 4 cyl's worth of emissions and you have 8 cyl.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i know, i was just wondering if there is a way to switch the vin# the legal way to an 8cyl car? anyway i'm gonna try again today before i bring it somewhere, last night i ran it almost empty, this time i'll run regular in stead of cam2 super mix!

·
Registered
390 Posts
cruzin95 said:
i know, i was just wondering if there is a way to switch the vin# the legal way to an 8cyl car? anyway i'm gonna try again today before i bring it somewhere, last night i ran it almost empty, this time i'll run regular in stead of cam2 super mix!

Switching VIN's is a BIG NO-NO..Where are you in NJ? We have the best state goverment money can buy.. If you in Northen NJ, YOU can past for about $100 :joy:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just got back! failed again for just co%, anyway while i was ther they told me to go and get a collector car registration and they'll give me a triangle inspection sticker!The only thing is you can only drive 3000 miles a year,no biggy! I wish i was close to north nj, i'm in central right next to great adventure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts