Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear of people getting 1.7 & 1.8 short times on Nittos, but the best I've been able to get is a 1.91. My question is on tire pressure. Some say 16 - 18lbs, other say 26 - 30lbs. What is everyone here running and what are your personnal best's??

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
I've made 4 passes on mine at ~17 PSI. Here are the 60' times, in order.....

This was done with a 2nd gear burnout in the waterbox. Heat them until they start to smoke, and when the start to smoke, let them go for about another 5 seconds. Then stage, and launch from around 3000 RPM, with a clutch slip/dump. Keep trying more RPM on the launch and see how it does for ya. Seems that about 3000 RPM gave me my best 60', if I remember correctly.

Also, the track plays a big role on your 60' too. The track that I ran on is a good-hooking track. I have a track in mind, that if I went to it, I might just have some unsatisfying 60' times. Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
An average launch for me after second gear burnout is about a 1.93. I have gotten a 1.89 once when the tires were brand new and still N/A.

Borrowed a set of BFGs and got 1.83 the very first try. Then got a 1.79 and a 1.80.

Nittos are good street tires and work well in the rain as long as they are above the wear bars. That's about all I can say for them. If you want good sixties, get better tires.

Ed

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
AV8R said:
R U saying the BFG makes the best drag radials? I am in the buying mode for drag radials so a good opinion would help.
I've run Nittos for 2 years. One recent visit to the track with both sets of tires tells me that the BFGs were better tires at the track. Another thing I'm learning. The Nittos get worse at they wear, the BFGs get better.

Ed

·
Registered
90 Posts
My best 60 FT to date on 245/45/17 inch Nitto's is 1.898. This was done after a smoky burnout and 17 lbs. of air. I believe to get any better I need to go to a 15 tire and Drag struts and shocks. The 15 inch with more sidewall would be a major plus. I've decided to quit messing with the DR's altogether at the track and get slicks on Weld Draglites and skinnies up front.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Edward Clark said:

The Nittos get worse at they wear, the BFGs get better.

Ed
You might get arguments on that, but I wholeheartedly agree. I'm on my 3rd set of Nitto d/r's and all of my best 60 foots have come when they're relatively new. When worn close to the bars, I have a hard time getting a 2.0 let alone a 1.9..........but on the same track, within one week, I can get a low 1.8 on a new set.

·
Registered
134 Posts
My best so far is a 1.88 60'
15 PSI in the tires
I feel that they have more in them.

The tires are 275-40-17's Nitto's. They fit on my stock cobra wheels and wear better than the BFG's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts