Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NHRA announce that they are running the Funny Cars and Dragsters to the 1000ft starting in Denver. While they look into ways making the sport safer.
Do you guys think this will change back or is the 1/4 on its way out?

·
Registered
133 Posts
It will change back simply because the tracks don't want to decrease the amount of spectator space. That, and the history. All the records would be reset.

I am nothing more than a casual drag fan, but to me, it makes no sense to change it long term.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
It does make sense. These tracks were made in the 60's for cars that could barely break 200. Now cars are going 1/3 faster and attempting to stop in the same distance. Also, most parts are torn up on those cars at or past the 1000 foot mark.

If they shorten the race track, they won't be traveling as fast and won't destroy as many parts. Making is safer for all and more cost evective for the racers. It will just be confusing for a while with the timing diff.

·
Registered
11,530 Posts
It does make sense. These tracks were made in the 60's for cars that could barely break 200. Now cars are going 1/3 faster and attempting to stop in the same distance. Also, most parts are torn up on those cars at or past the 1000 foot mark.

If they shorten the race track, they won't be traveling as fast and won't destroy as many parts. Making is safer for all and more cost evective for the racers. It will just be confusing for a while with the timing diff.

I'm confused here.. A shorter race means les brakage?? it's a 4000 hp car. if something is going to let go it's going to let go no matter what.. to shorten it 300 feet for a funny car or top fuel is nothing more then an attempt to shush the people bitching that it's not a safe sport... equipting these cars with better fail safes is what is going to "possibly" save a racers life.. not shortening the race.. Scotts death was tragic, but those are the breaks so to speak.. they all know the dangers yet still get in the car.. So I doubt it's the racers wanting to shorten the races..

·
Registered
715 Posts
Agreed.

They are travelling at about 440feet/second through the traps...shortening it by 320 feet cuts their run short by about .7 seconds...if something is going to break it is still going to.

This is just temporary I hope till they have time to add longer shutdown areas and other safety features like sand pits and/or nets...NOT a friggin concrete barrier.

·
Registered
715 Posts
All the cars should be about .7 seconds or so faster because its a shorter distance now, but that might not be true because they are all engineered and designed to go 1320 not 1000.

·
Corral Charter Member
3,746 Posts
Maybe the solution is not having a concrete wall where the cars can run into it?

If space is really at that kind of premium for a national event track, maybe they should only run 1/8 mile?

The track NHRA was racing at the week after had a big tree at the end of the shutdown area that someone almost hit.

IMO, those pro classes aren't even remotely interesting to watch anyways. It's like a Monster Truck event or something. Its neat that people can build "cars" that can do that, but if you've seen it once, you've seen it.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm confused here.. A shorter race means les brakage?? it's a 4000 hp car. if something is going to let go it's going to let go no matter what.. to shorten it 300 feet for a funny car or top fuel is nothing more then an attempt to shush the people bitching that it's not a safe sport... equipting these cars with better fail safes is what is going to "possibly" save a racers life.. not shortening the race.. Scotts death was tragic, but those are the breaks so to speak.. they all know the dangers yet still get in the car.. So I doubt it's the racers wanting to shorten the races..
it is proven that most of the damage that does happen to these engine does happen beyond the 1000' mark, it has been said time and time by drivers and crew cheifs. i wouldnt mind seeing them run 1/8 mile, b/c when you are crossing the 1/8th mile mark at 265mph you are only along for the ride that last 1/8 mile. less chance for a accident only running 1/8 mile and you still get the same thrill of going 0-265 in 3.5 sec.

·
Registered
619 Posts
That extra 320 feet could mean a world of difference. Don't forget, these cars slow down almost as fast as they accelerate. That's just over a football field's length to help decelerate.

I kind of have a problem with people who keep talking about having a concrete "wall" or "barrier" at the end of the track. Alot of critics are making it sound like there's just a dragstrip and then a wall. That's not how E-town is though.

Realize that Englishtown has nearly a 1/2 mile shutdown, then a sandtrap, then a safety net. In 60 years of running, I'm not sure if anything has ever gone through all of those safety precautions. None of that stuff was designed to stop a 200+ MPH funny car. Scott Kalitta's death was tragic, but it was a freak thing. However, the bottom line is these tracks weren't designed for these speeds, and something has to be done, either to the track, or the cars.

·
Registered
11,530 Posts
They can prove it all they want, cutting top fuel/funny cars down to 1000ft or 1/8 mile is not the answer.. The teams would lose on that deal, watch a top fuel car in the 1/8, it's a blip of the throttle, WOW how exciting.. come on man.. having better fail safes for the cars would be way better then cutting down the race length..

·
Registered
707 Posts
NHRA is gonna turn into NASCAR. its gonna make rule changes every single week, this and that. Its gonna be pure BS pretty soon, and its gonna suck. What ashame. Thats like having the NFL decrease the football fields to just 80 yards instead of 100. It just doesnt make any sense.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
The danger is in the tracks, as noted these are old tracks, and there is not much in the way of stopping distance.

The 300 feet that is cut off the race is 300 feet of additional breaking and not to mention that the cars will not get up to the same speed they would in a 1/4 mile.

Either change the tracks, or change the distance. That is the real answer.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Thats like having the NFL decrease the football fields to just 80 yards instead of 100. It just doesnt make any sense.
I have yet to see a WR not slow down after the endzone and get killed.

Apples and Oranges, buddy; Apples and oranges.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
That extra 320 feet could mean a world of difference. Don't forget, these cars slow down almost as fast as they accelerate. That's just over a football field's length to help decelerate.

I kind of have a problem with people who keep talking about having a concrete "wall" or "barrier" at the end of the track. Alot of critics are making it sound like there's just a dragstrip and then a wall. That's not how E-town is though.

Realize that Englishtown has nearly a 1/2 mile shutdown, then a sandtrap, then a safety net. In 60 years of running, I'm not sure if anything has ever gone through all of those safety precautions. None of that stuff was designed to stop a 200+ MPH funny car. Scott Kalitta's death was tragic, but it was a freak thing. However, the bottom line is these tracks weren't designed for these speeds, and something has to be done, either to the track, or the cars.
Not to mention a boom truck which is what he reportedly hit. E-Town is old and needs to revamp. I've raced there, so I know.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Not to mention a boom truck which is what he reportedly hit. E-Town is old and needs to revamp. I've raced there, so I know.
what Etown can do is what Maple Grove does. have the slowdown area cut right throught the road thats behind it, and just have a spotter to shut down the road during every road. Thatll make the shut down area even longer.

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
I dont think its the answer either... all forms of racing are very dangerous, but the people who drive understand that.

1000ft track is dumb IMO... its like a local track here thats only 600 ft instead of a true 1/8th. Ive yet to go there... even to watch.

1/4 mile or dont bother
change the car... not the race

·
Registered
133 Posts
I still don't understand why the parachutes cannot be set of by remote when the car crosses the finish line. My garage door stops when someone crosses the beam. Why can't they tie that into the chute activation? That way the chutes always deploy.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I still don't understand why the parachutes cannot be set of by remote when the car crosses the finish line. My garage door stops when someone crosses the beam. Why can't they tie that into the chute activation? That way the chutes always deploy.
is that a joke? haha just wonderin dude. idk if that would work too well

·
Registered
613 Posts
IMO, those pro classes aren't even remotely interesting to watch anyways. It's like a Monster Truck event or something. Its neat that people can build "cars" that can do that, but if you've seen it once, you've seen it.
You must be a very boring person. How can you compare Monster Trucks to Top Fuel? They put out twice the horsepower, so there is NO comparison.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts