Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received my B&G turbo kit today, it was the longest 3-4 weeks of my life! :D Anyway I have a few question, I figured I would ask you guys rather the pest Brian again. It looks like my charcoal canister may need to go, what should I do with the black plastic line? I am going to get 50-60lbs injectors 90mm air meter, 255 pump, xpi timing lock, MSD 6 & coil what do you think?

Not sure how many of you seen the new MM&FF for January, they have an article were they just installed the same B&G system on there LX. Why does the HP seem so low at 420 considering they just freshened the short block and installed ported & polished E7TES, cam, cobra intake with 10.5 psi? Last year they installed a turbo kit on a 220k mile GT I believe it made very close to 500 with a 60mm turbo?

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
There is a guy on turbomustangs making 475 on a stock block at 9lbs I believe. If you get the 90mm (lightning? maf) you will need a tune. If you get a tune you don't need a timing lock.
You can't believe everything you see related to dyno numbers. 475rwhp @ 9lbs of boost on a stock 5.0 longblock is not happening. Your going to need in the neighborhood of 12-14psi to get those types of numbers.

As for MM&FF, that really sounds about right for the combo assuminig a mild port job and an auto tranny.

·
Registered
967 Posts
A friend of mine has the same kit and he relocated his charcoal canister on the inside of his bumper/fender.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can't believe everything you see related to dyno numbers. 475rwhp @ 9lbs of boost on a stock 5.0 longblock is not happening. Your going to need in the neighborhood of 12-14psi to get those types of numbers.

As for MM&FF, that really sounds about right for the combo assuminig a mild port job and an auto tranny.
Wonder were I will be with 11 lbs on a stock engine?

The MM&FF car is a 5 spd.

·
Registered
98 Posts
just putting my two sense in but isn't 50-60lb injectors a little to much for that app??? i would think 30-42 would be good enough for just about any street/strip turbo app

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
just putting my two sense in but isn't 50-60lb injectors a little to much for that app??? i would think 30-42 would be good enough for just about any street/strip turbo app
Nope, they work great for turbo apps. 42lb's will max out right around 500-550rwhp with a turbo...so the extra injectors will leave room to grow.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I went with 60's for my turbo stock block build. I did notice B & G in the last issue of MM&FF, looks almost identical to the kit I have? Congrats to Brian, see what a little custmer service will get ya! I kinda wished I'd just done a custom kit myself, the quicktime kit sits the turbo way to close to the alternator for my preference. Other than that the kit fits flawless. I hope to put down atleat 450 to the rear.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
go with a MSD digital 6 plus. it has a built in 2 step and a staged timing control.. works great for building boost on the line.
Will that work like the XPI? I am a little green with all the ign boxes, I have always bought 6AL & MSD coil and was done. From what Brian at B&G said once it starts to make boost I need to lock the timing from advance and have it run on the pre-determine setting. What will this do better?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Will that work like the XPI? I am a little green with all the ign boxes, I have always bought 6AL & MSD coil and was done. From what Brian at B&G said once it starts to make boost I need to lock the timing from advance and have it run on the pre-determine setting. What will this do better?
The TimingLock will work just fine with any aftermarket ignition box... but my guess is that you'll be fine with the stock ignition. Be sure to properly gap your plugs. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
NOT sure on the XPI but I wouldnt use one anyway lol

Its JUST like a 6AL but it uses a digital signal not a analog, plus it has the 2 step/timing retard built in..Basicly its the one step up from the 6al.

I would ditch the timing lock and just have it tuned, IF a tune is even needed. I have been running my stock motor on 9-12 psi with no tune/timing lock ect. Its all in the calibration of the MAF tho....The PMAS maf I use has a real good rep for being dead nuttz on or very very close.

·
Registered
103 Posts
NOT sure on the XPI but I wouldnt use one anyway lol

Its JUST like a 6AL but it uses a digital signal not a analog, plus it has the 2 step/timing retard built in..Basicly its the one step up from the 6al.

I would ditch the timing lock and just have it tuned, IF a tune is even needed. I have been running my stock motor on 9-12 psi with no tune/timing lock ect. Its all in the calibration of the MAF tho....The PMAS maf I use has a real good rep for being dead nuttz on or very very close.
red89coupe, the calibration of the MAF is important for air/fuel, but what are you doing for timing? Locked out all the time or retarded base with spout in?

Before you recommend against using one, I wish you would try one, it is like night and day compared to either of the above methods of timing control (and way cheaper than a custom tune... and it is simple to use).

XPI is now selling an updated version of the TimingLock: http://www.xpinnovation.net/timinglock_pro.html

http://www.xpinnovation.net/timinglock-pro.wmv

1 - 20 of 23 Posts