Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I wanted to get some input from people that know a lot more than me. I would like to build a stang that would be both fun on a Sunday drive and a few weekends trying out Auto x. ( And not get beat by a Turbo Neon) I'm 40 so I have a soft spot for the 88 to 93 Gt's but a guy I know told me that getting them to handle sucks and I should go more for a 94 to 95 GT. So just want to see what others think. I'm not dropping 13 grand or anything I just want it too look sweet and drive well. Starting with 3 to 4 grand to buy the car btw.

Thanks for any info

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Good tires like a Dunlop Star Spec and go from there.

I decided to get into autocross and road racing recently. Bought a Miata and a BMW. Few months later I sold both and got another mustang. Won't be the fastest, but you will have fun.

·
Registered
5,521 Posts
I have both an 86 Fox and a new edge 01 Cobra. I prefer the Fox for A/X because of weight advantage, seating postion, overall spacial feeling - i.e., it fits me better and I can judge position better - yeah, I'm old too. But the stock suspension needs some work; the stock 5.0 is underpowered in comparison to the modern stuff; no anti-lock brakes or traction control; and poor brakes. But with some judicial parts choices, all of these deficits can be improved and made to work pretty well. This is not to say the Fox will outperform the modern iron, but you will have fun and with seat time may even give the new stuff a run for it.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I would like to build a stang that would be both fun on a Sunday drive and a few weekends trying out Auto x. ( And not get beat by a Turbo Neon)
No Mustang can ever beat a Turbo Neon in autocross. :angel:

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info and if everything goes right I will be picking up my all stock mint condition 93 Mustang Gt this weekend.

·
Registered
49 Posts
In my opinion you should run what you like and just not expect to be very fast (especially at first). It's just more fun that way, and a whole lot less frustrating.

However, objectively, the sn95s are better is just about every single way to the foxbody performance wise besides weight. Sure you can upgrade the fox with just about everything that you can with a sn95, but the sn95 will come with more of it from the start, and will probably be cheaper too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts