Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK ,Im builing a 302 Stroker for my Saleen (forged internals) Will retain the Saleen blower .What I need to know is at what point I need to upgrade TB , MAF and fuel system . Heres is what I am going to do and the order I intend to do it .
1) Change blower pullies to up the
boost to 12psi. (after breakin of course)
2) Polish and port heads (cant find any
aftermarket aluminum 4.6)
3) Cams (need info on how to determine
proper lift and duration }
4) 100-150 shot wet system (just because the
wife said I could !)
Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
693 Posts
i see your from Texas? Where at? Who's doing the engine build? SD wheeler (TheGame) round here, seems to have a pretty good set of roots blower grinds available, for around 250 i think. Also, since you are upping boost, and getting a <slightly>bigger engine, and PnPing the heads,the t-body could be swapped in favor of a bigger one now too. SD also does head porting as well as many other shops here in Tx, including Houston Performance and another in Austin (can't remember the name, but a man named Kirk...help here please) As for whos better at headporting....lots of mud been thrown around here. My friend and I did my heads, perthe advice of Mr Wheeler, and I don't have any before or after dyno/track runsm yet (other parts of motor broke) You are right on with the heads...what year car? if its 99+ port the stockers, add valve springs, and bigger valves. if its a 96-98, bet some PI heads, and have whoever's doing the 302 do the 17cc dish piston(better for a blown car) it'll put the compression ration around 8.9:1 Also, with the NOS. I dunno if i would use it flowing through the blower...you might need to page GarretW, stroked or blown, or a few other roots guys here to help out a little bit though. Anywho, WElcome aboard, hope you have fun modding, and learn many things!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My car is a 99 . You can view pics at www.madsmiley.com as well as check out mods . Im in the Houston area , League City actually.
Having Houston Performance build the stroker and then Tommie Vaughn will reassemble . After its back together I will do all the top end (minus machine work) myself . Question about the regrind cams , how does that really work ?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Dude, Those are not newbie questions! And Here I thought I could help!!:eek: :D

·
Registered
806 Posts
i am a newbie myself (although, I would hardly consider anybody with a combo like your building a newbie) my issues to address would be fuel system (the 99 car being, returnless) also putting a 150 shot through the roots blower. I would recommend the NOSzelle (sp?) system from N.O.S. (nnaaawwwsss, sorry had to do it) this way you won't ruin the teflon coating in the blower, and the other advantage will be the fact that you will drastically reduce the intake charge, which will be astronomical at the boost levels your talking. I would also recommend a JMS flip chip for the car, so you can have less timing when on the spray.

just out of curiosity what are you hoping to put down, power wise?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had no intention of doing anything to this car when I purchased it in November . Due to some quality issuse I keep seeing in Saleens(this is my second one since June "01) and the fact the extended warranty company screwed me out of a new motor , it seems apparent that the only way to make this car dependable is to build it myself . Better , stronger and faster ........as far as numbers to expect I can only guess at his point , but here is what I hope to at least obtain . 360hp the way Saleen had it set up to begin with . With the Stroker I hope for about 375hp .Up the boost another 4psi should be around 400hp . Heads and cam around 430ish . Add the 150 shot just for kicks and that should put me somewhere int the neighborhood of 525 or so .........

1 - 6 of 6 Posts