Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, posted in the general tech forum so posting here instead...

It's my daily (1993 foxbody GT) and have stock 302 with HCI, etc (TW 11R 190cc heads, custom cam by Ed, SysteMAX II intake, long tubes, 255lph pump, 24lb injectors, 70MM TB). Makes a little over 300 to the wheel. Looking to get it to at least 400 if possible.

So anyway, I want to do a supercharger and not turbos. Any suggestions and what I should do? Never have had any experience with them. What brand/type, how big, do I need an intercooled one, do I need to change intake and/cam, do I need larger injectors, etc., etc.

I would appreciate any help and willing to purchase used from someone on here if that's recommended as well

Thanks!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Vortech Si would be my recommendation. Intake is fine, no idea what your cam is so can't say. I'd get 60# Siemens Deka injectors. No reason to go intercooled if staying around 8# of boost. Your fuel pump may not be enough.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
that fuel pump is fine. Deff go bigger on injectors. No reason to not do 60-80lbs now while replacing them.
Some sort of cooler whether it be meth or intercooler is highly advised. Its not "needed" but you will find that all the hot air these things blow will cause stupid HIGH AIT's and pull timing.
Honestly making what you are now, you can pretty much slap on a blower as long as you have fuel and retune and make 400whp.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, and yeah the 255 pump is the high pressure for whatever that's worth. Would these be the proper injectors if I got the siemens? I currently have the stock EV1 style which this is what these look like: 60 lb/hr Siemens Deka Fuel Injectors High Impedance (Short Style) - CDL Enterprises, Inc.

If I just get the non-intercooled setup....how complicated is the install? I know I'll need to take it to get tuned afterwards, but just wondering if the install is something I could handle...knowing I don't have a lot of experience myself.

Would this kit essentially be what I wanted? Vortech 4FA218-048L: V-3 Si-Trim Ford Supercharger Kit | JEGS

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Thanks, and yeah the 255 pump is the high pressure for whatever that's worth. Would these be the proper injectors if I got the siemens? I currently have the stock EV1 style which this is what these look like: 60 lb/hr Siemens Deka Fuel Injectors High Impedance (Short Style) - CDL Enterprises, Inc.

If I just get the non-intercooled setup....how complicated is the install? I know I'll need to take it to get tuned afterwards, but just wondering if the install is something I could handle...knowing I don't have a lot of experience myself.

Would this kit essentially be what I wanted? Vortech 4FA218-048L: V-3 Si-Trim Ford Supercharger Kit | JEGS
I have Siemens 60's in my car now. Ran their injectors on multiple other cars with success too.
The setup is not earth shattering on complication, but do not believe it will be a couple hour walk in the park thing. Not sure how the Fox are, but the SN I needed to punch the oil pan for drain, remove the accessory brackets and replace with vortech brackets, change crank and waterpump pulley, do the fuel stuff, bend the AC line cut out/notch the radiator panel, remove the stock oil pressure sensor and T it for oil feed to the blower. ect.
You can bypass the oil stuff if you get a V3.

Again with non intercooled, heat is going to be an issue. It will run and make decent power, but it will be leaps and bounds better with some form of cooling

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
the injectors you posted are the incorrect height. you want these

Genuine 60lb Siemens Deka IV Fuel Injectors BMW Chevy Camaro Ford Mustang V8 LT1 LS1 5.0L 4.6L 630cc 107961 and FI114961. - TREperformance.com

Install for a centrifugal blower is about the easiest install for a power adder possible. if you have a simple mechanics tool set you'll be fine. Make sure you have a tuner in the area that will tune your car. if using a stock computer, you'll require a chip in order to burn tunes into the ECU.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Just saw you were in dallas. There are 3-4 good shops in that area that can tune your combo. Manny at HPP I believe is a popular choice. Not 100% sure how he is with pushrod motors but i imagine he's good.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I dont think people with twin screws really like them for making any power.
seems most of the people with KB screws on foxes enjoy them and make good peak hp as well as power throughout the whole powerband. This guys goal is 400hp. lol With an 11R headed HCI car, you could nearly get that with a leaf blower in the intake. He'd be fine either way.

·
Registered
89 Posts
that fuel pump is fine. Deff go bigger on injectors. No reason to not do 60-80lbs now while replacing them.
Some sort of cooler whether it be meth or intercooler is highly advised. Its not "needed" but you will find that all the hot air these things blow will cause stupid HIGH AIT's and pull timing.
Honestly making what you are now, you can pretty much slap on a blower as long as you have fuel and retune and make 400whp.
My dad was a diesel mech and he always said that you should run an inter-cooler to catch debris. He would talk about turbos going out and going straight into the engine without them. One of his favorite stories is about how his boss didnt want him to change the intercooler after replacing the turbo head unit. He said that the debris was already in the intercooler and it dislodged and went into the engine... Anyways, I dont have any first hand exp...

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
My dad was a diesel mech and he always said that you should run an inter-cooler to catch debris. He would talk about turbos going out and going straight into the engine without them. One of his favorite stories is about how his boss didnt want him to change the intercooler after replacing the turbo head unit. He said that the debris was already in the intercooler and it dislodged and went into the engine... Anyways, I dont have any first hand exp...
well you should run them for cooling, but yea I have seen them catch quite a few broken blades and turbine wheels in my day. lol. They are really fun to clean oil out of too when seals go bad. lol.
I have not seen carnage like that on a blower yet, but I am sure its happened.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah great thanks PM and 5.0, helps out a lot. Thanks for the link to proper injectors too. Sounds like good idea to go ahead and do intercooler and do it right too. :)

Anyway, thanks again!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just saw you were in dallas. There are 3-4 good shops in that area that can tune your combo. Manny at HPP I believe is a popular choice. Not 100% sure how he is with pushrod motors but i imagine he's good.
Yep thanks...HPP is who tuned my car as it stands now. Not sure if Manny or not technically but I know I always hear about him there.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
fwiw my setup

afr 165 heads
tfs cam

was 292rwhp through an AOD. Added a
V3
powerpipe
60# Deka injectors
80MM pro M MAF

making around 450rwhp on 10# of boost on a safe tune

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Find a twin screw setup!
I dont think people with twin screws really like them for making any power.
Lol. Yeah, OK.

https://youtu.be/j8SNo7kpcxw

OP - with 80 lb injectors, a 450lph fuel pump is a good match, but you'll want to control it. It'll flow too much at low rpm/cruising around. A 320lph would be OK for 60's and usually you can get by without secondary control. The 60/320 setup will run out of fuel slightly before injectors. Key things for both - stock wiring is a no-no, and I would suggest at least a -6 line for the 320/60 combo and a -8 for the 450/80's.

If E85 is a possibility in the future, I would stage two pumps.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Lol. Yeah, OK.

https://youtu.be/j8SNo7kpcxw

OP - with 80 lb injectors, a 450lph fuel pump is a good match, but you'll want to control it. It'll flow too much at low rpm/cruising around. A 320lph would be OK for 60's and usually you can get by without secondary control. The 60/320 setup will run out of fuel slightly before injectors. Key things for both - stock wiring is a no-no, and I would suggest at least a -6 line for the 320/60 combo and a -8 for the 450/80's.

If E85 is a possibility in the future, I would stage two pumps.
I won't argue this because it's sound advice, but I will say that I'm doing far more on far less. Lol and my VE table doesn't have to ramp way up because of fuel rails running dry. :cool:

I'm still siding with OP getting screwed though

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Lol. Yeah, OK.
I am going by the SN guys always bitching about them and selling them off to go centrifugal. When you only have the option of 2 KB blowers for a 5.0 car that arent made anymore its tough. But I constantly see the KB's for sale and moving to a diff setup because they werent happy with them. You deff arent seeing SN guys out there making much HP on them unless they are in hiding and dont talk about their setups.

So that guy in the youtube link you provided is making whatever the cliffs said, I think 800-900whp on a KB on a pushrod car? I didnt think those things could muster out that kind of HP. Tons of cubes I assume?

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
So that guy in the youtube link you provided is making whatever the cliffs said, I think 800-900whp on a KB on a pushrod car? I didnt think those things could muster out that kind of HP. Tons of cubes I assume?
Pretty sure that's Alex's car in the vid (the guy who posted the link).

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Pretty sure that's Alex's car in the vid (the guy who posted the link).
I figured that out after the fact and see it has a Whipple? Didnt know you could retrofit a whipple on an old pushrod car. I guess SN guys are behind the times. #### if I knew this, I would have done that. I assume some kind of adapter plate was made?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts