Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good afternoon. I am back after a long hiatus. Picked up a 88 notchback. Needs paint and engine work, but zero rust or collision damage. Already has a 5 lug conversion with cobra brakes. I am going to be sending it for paint after I work on the mechanical. I do have a question on the windshield and rear window trim. Mine is obviously faded, but the metal itself is straight. Is there a proper way or removing and repainting the factory color?

·
Dean Scheidt
3,413 Posts
Looks like a great foundation to build whatever you want it to be. Does it have a tubular K-member? I'm asking because that front wheel is sitting forward from where it should be. Mine looked like that after installing an aftermarket K-member. We had to loosen the mounting bolts and pull it back to get the wheels closer to center.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like a great foundation to build whatever you want it to be. Does it have a tubular K-member? I'm asking because that front wheel is sitting forward from where it should be. Mine looked like that after installing an aftermarket K-member. We had to loosen the mounting bolts and pull it back to get the wheels closer to center.
yes it does have a tubular k member. The wheel is slightly turned in this pic. But I will be going thru the whole car. It is a very solid foundation. I picked up a fresh rebuild 302 with gt40 heads, intake and e303 cam. Engine is going in the next week or so. Need to fix up sloppy wiring from previous owners. Slowly and surely.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took a closer look. I have a unknown tubular k-member, tubular A-arms and coilovers. Both wheels are moved forward in the wheelwell. I haven't really taken a deep dive. depending on the brand of k-member I am probably going to go with rear offset control arms to center the wheel.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hope it’s MM. so many things were done on this poor coupe half assed. some previous owner added a flip chip that was running super rich. I guess I shouldn’t complain as the car is complete with zero rust or collision damage.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I hope it’s MM. so many things were done on this poor coupe half assed. some previous owner added a flip chip that was running super rich. I guess I shouldn’t complain as the car is complete with zero rust or collision damage.
Pay close attention when you look at the K-member. Granatelli made a direct ripoff of MM's K-member and control arms. A kid had a set of front control arms that he thought were AJE and he was selling them cheap. I looked at the pictures, thought they were MM and bought them thinking I got a screaming deal. I showed Jack Hidley some pictures and informed me that they weren't MM arms. After I did a bunch of searches, I found that Granatelli purchased MM components and sent them overseas to be cheaply replicated. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tbird232, I am really hoping its a MM k-member. But I wouldn't be surprised if its an off brand junk. The joys of cleaning up half assed work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts