Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heard that on BlueOvalNews. Can't retorque the bolt.

Anyone?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
My steeda instructions said to "re-use the stock bolt" but I have heard that a new bolt should be used. FWIW, I re-used the stock bolt with some lock-tite and RTV sealant on the Keyway. I haven't had any leaking oil and the pulleys seem to be spinning straight. I have yet to throw a belt or have any other pulley related problems with my many 7k rpm romps.

Wish I could be of more help. I would just buy a new bolt personally. It should only be a few bucks at your local dealership.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If they are the Steeda are ASP pulley's only use the bolt that comes with them to get the the pulley started then reuse your stock bolt. Do not tighten the bolt that comes with the pulley's you will strip your crank!

·
Registered
5 Posts
DO NOT reuse the factory bolt. Go the Ford Dealer and get a new one for a couple of bucks.

I originally reused my factory bolt, but started feeling like maybe there was a reason the factory bolts are torque-to-yield and only good for one use.

So last night I jacked the car up and removed the factory bolt and replaced it with a new bolt from the dealer.

I about filled by pants when I looked at the bolt I took out. The center section had necked down to about 4/5 the diameter of the rest of the threads. If any on here are mechanical engineers, it looks exactly like a tensile test specimen right before it fractures..:eek: This bolt was torqued using Steeda instructions of 115 ft-lbs.

I will try to post pictures as soon as I get my digital camera back from my son.

In short DON'T REUSE THE ORIGINAL BOLT

1 - 6 of 6 Posts