Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
94, 5.0 5 spd

Power steering is making the typical bad power steering noises, only when turning wheel, that whining. So I flush the system but still having it. Install a new pump and bleed/flush the system but it’s still making the noise. Drive it for 20ish miles to see if air was trapped somewhere and would go away but no dice.

part that is strange to me is when I Put the wheels in the air and however many turns lock to lock with engine not running I can get a few bubbles or blurb out of the fluid reservoir. No obvious leaks anywhere, fluid level is right. Reinstalled the old pump to send the new one back and same issues.

Checked under the rack seals and no fluid in there but when I pulled the tube that equalizes the pressure between the two sides it sounded like it was under vacuum a bit.

Where should I be looking at to fix this now? I don’t see any obvious leaks anywhere where it could suck air in, and I don’t want to just start throwing parts at it. The pump has always fixed my issue in any car I’ve ever had !

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
21,736 Posts
there is a thread here that goes into detail

suffice to say, you have air in the system, and it cant get sucked in, unless you are very low on fluid

you need to place the system under a vac, as per ford procedure to get the air that was trapped out

whether the noise goes away, depends on how much damage has been done by the lack of lube up to now

·
Registered
709 Posts
Did you change the low pressure side and replace the pinch clamps
with screw clamps?

One of the biggest causes of P.S. whine is air "leaking" into the system
from the intake side! Fluid will not leak out only AIR in....

GL

·
Registered
7,561 Posts
years back a friend of mine suggested bleeding the pump by hand before starting the car. i'm talking new pump install and manually turning the pulley while doing the initial fill. i've done that on several cars now and have never had any noise/whine issues since...

·
Registered
596 Posts
I replaced the pump on my Mark VII last year.
This time I spun the pump by hand until the larger pockets of air burped.
I then took the belt, wrapped it around the pulley and spun it that way for a while, getting the smaller pockets of air and adding fluid.
After putting the belt on, I then connected my momentary switch to the starter solenoid and spun the engine while turning the steering wheel lock to lock several times (on jack stands).
Still no noise from the pump 18 months later.

Having said that, I did get a pump from NAPA that was a POS and not only was it LOUD, but felt jerky all the time. Took it back and got one from Orielly's that is the one on it now.
So maybe it is all hit or miss.....

·
Registered
42 Posts
What fluid are you using. Ford systems do not use Power steering Fluid. If you put it in they will whine..

·
Registered
458 Posts
Probably a bad replacement pump. I had a defective new AGR pump that whined like a moose in heat. Changed it to a reman Adco pump from Steeda... it was ok. Now I'm using a pump by Delco, as I'm hoping their re-manufacturing standards are better than some others. I also noticed that LMR has reman pumps from Ford Motorcraft now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts