Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Awesome job!!! What changes did you make to pick up the 5+ MPH?

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Honestly, the 5 mph & 1/2 a second et increase were probably due to the smallest of things... I tried to gain only 2 tenths of a second; adding a race crank pulley, running Sunoco 104 unleaded race gas, & slathering my old slicks with track bite before both passes. Otherwise, I do not know why....

Attachments

·
Registered
676 Posts
Actually from your PB of last year it's more like 6.5 MPH and 7.5 tenths. The mph would indicate nearly a 70 flywheel HP increase. If you got that from a crank pulley and higher octane gas alone, you're living right.:wink2:

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually from your PB of last year it's more like 6.5 MPH and 7.5 tenths. The mph would indicate nearly a 70 flywheel HP increase. If you got that from a crank pulley and higher octane gas alone, you're living right.:wink2:
I am sorry.... I'm mentally thinking about my last best ET of [email protected] that i posted over on the N2O power adder forum in September (Doah!)..... Your right; I went from a best of [email protected] last year to a best of [email protected] this year. ALL of the changes made:
1) I took 100-125lbs out of the car (while I gained 10lbs plus.... ouch!)
2) I installed the Nitrous Express plate(between the upper & lower) versus the Zex nozzle in the air intake tube.
3) I went from 125hp N2O pills to 150hp pills
4) I discovered I had two broken valve springs & one dead lifter that affected my ET's late last year & early this year... While still setting better ET's as i went along! :ashamed:
5) I went to very cold NGK plugs versus the Autolite 3924's I had been running
6) Previously mentioned race gas; but i did run race gas, most of the time, last year.....
7)Previously mentioned race crank pulley.... Only run in this last race event...
8) I removed the LX tail pipes completely (part of the weight loss as it was 20lbs total) & this probably reduced back pressure during the N2O passes....

No other changes period. Maybe all of that adds up; maybe it don't. The springs & lifters kinda threw a monkey wrench in my season from June 4th until I discovered & repaired everything by the end of July. but then I discovered problems due to my fuel pressure regulator having failed in the oddest way; it just changed up or down on a whim.... In August; I'm finally ready to run hard at the track. But I'd launch & then the car would die... Come to find out my rear inertia impact sensor device would cut off fuel on my launches..... Easy fix & test by bypassing the SOB.... it was finally September before i could finally make a good run.... After i found I wasn't getting WOT voltage to the Zex system to fire due to the frigg'in floor mat having wadded up under the pedal..... Lots of little problems this year to say the least! ;)

Next year? 10's baby! Without making 1 single more horsepower than i already have.... ;)

·
Registered
676 Posts
Hope you get your 10's. Think you can find it in your 60 foot times, or very close. If you could get the car to sixty a 1.45 or so, should do the trick.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hope you get your 10's. Think you can find it in your 60 foot times, or very close. If you could get the car to sixty a 1.45 or so, should do the trick.
Part of my winter time dilemma right now..... Continue to work with a new set of 26x8.5" M/T slicks? Or, upgrade to something like a 26x10" slick. Only problem with that is new rims & more $$$.... I do not have..... Oh well, it's all part of the game & I'll do what i can for next year..... ;)

·
Registered
676 Posts
Part of my winter time dilemma right now..... Continue to work with a new set of 26x8.5" M/T slicks? Or, upgrade to something like a 26x10" slick. Only problem with that is new rims & more $$$.... I do not have..... Oh well, it's all part of the game & I'll do what i can for next year..... ;)
Can't speak to the M/T 8.5 but I run the Hoosier 26x8.5x15 stiffwall. Awesome tire. The only reason I can think of you needing a 10" would be if the 8.5 won't hold, and of course air pressure and track prep are biggies. The Hoosier 8.5 is actually a 9" tread. No idea why they call it a 8.5. And I run it on a 10" wheel, which really helps the contact patch.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can't speak to the M/T 8.5 but I run the Hoosier 26x8.5x15 stiffwall. Awesome tire. The only reason I can think of you needing a 10" would be if the 8.5 won't hold, and of course air pressure and track prep are biggies. The Hoosier 8.5 is actually a 9" tread. No idea why they call it a 8.5. And I run it on a 10" wheel, which really helps the contact patch.
Yeah, i hear you. The track i run at, Rocky Mountain Raceways here in SLC,Utah does prep their track well. The problem for me is that I'm a real budget racer. Early in the year; i can run in a bunch of test & tune races; really meant for the Summit Series bracket racing crowd. The prep is excellent & most of the cars are slick tired vehicles. It's when I go later in the year; way to many street tires on cars & trucks kill the traction of the track.... Making my launches more difficult as the night wears on. So, my options are limited in my mind; go to a bigger rim & tire to help when traction is limited. Or, continue to fight the good fight with a little tire that needs good prep..... Decisions, decisions.... ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts