Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil, which has been around for more than 25 years, is changing its formula and viscosity ratings to reflect the latest changes in automotive technology. Starting in February 2002, Mobil 1 has been reformulated with a new secret ingredient called "SuperSyn" which Mobil says will improve the oil's anti-wear and anti-friction qualities even more. Mobil won't say exactly what SuperSyn is, but only that it is a special hydrocarbon molecule that takes synthetic oil technology to a new level of performance -- which will also be reflected in a price increase for Mobil 1.

The average shelf price today for Mobil 1 and other synthetic oils is usually $3.79 to $3.99 per quart. The reformulated Mobil 1 will probably sell for $4.79 to $4.99 per quart.

The new ingredient gives Mobil 1 a slightly darker color than before, which improves visibility when reading a dipstick. The new additive also allows Mobil 1 to pass a much wider battery of industry oil standards, including ILSAC GF-3, American Petroleum Institute's SL/SH/CF specifications, European ACEA standards and Japanese valvetrain requirements. The oil is approved for use in virtually all gasoline and light duty diesel engines, and is used as the factory-fill oil for Porsche, Mercedes Benz AMG vehicles, Aston Martin, Chevrolet Corvette, Ford Mustang R Cobra and Dodge Viper.

Mobil 1 will also be available in 5 different viscosity grades:

* 5W-30 -- For newer vehicles

* 10W-30 -- For older or high mileage vehicles

* 15W-30 -- For performance, hard use applications (excellent for turbocharged & supercharged engines, muscle cars, off-road trucks, etc.)

* 0W-30 -- For improved fuel economy & cold weather starting

*0W-40 -- For new European cars (meets Mercedes-Benz, Porsche and BMW requirements).

SYNTHETIC MARKET GROWING

According to ExxonMobil market research, synthetic motor oils now account for 14% of all retail motor oil sales. Of this, Mobil 1 has a 63% share of the market.


Synthetic motor oils have numerous advantages over conventional motor oils, such as greatly improved high and low temperature performance, greater resistance to oxidation and viscosity break-down, and potentially longer service life.

Though ExxonMobil has taken a conservative approach and says the oil should be changed at the interval recommended by the vehicle manufacturer (typically 3,000 miles/3 months up to 7,500 miles or more/12 months depending on the type of driving), a company engineer also said that if the OEMs went to a once a year 10,000 miles change interval, Mobil 1 would have no trouble meeting the standard. The oil is so stable that it shows little deterioration with extended drain intervals.

For more information about Mobil I, visit www.mobil1.com

http://www.exxonmobilchemical.com/chemical/customer/products/families/synthetics/basefluids/paos.html
*******************************

Cobra'03 adds: So it is a fortified PAO - note in the technical analysis they specifically mention it is a Group IV lube - this will validate my previous posts on the topic of Groups, and also verify that when oil professionals discuss lubes, they do not discuss API-this or Star-symbol that - they know the intrinsic lube issues, and that the Group typologies tell you what you need to know more succinctly than anything else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Hmm, interesting. Too bad about the price increase though.

My personal opinion is that the current Mobil 1 is more than good enough for a typical street driven car, even one that is driven hard and raced occasionally, so the "improvement" really isn't all that big a deal to me. I'd just as soon keep the current Mobil 1 with the current price. Obviously getting the "NEW!, IMPROVED!" M1 at the current price would be great, but Mobil 1 marketing folks aren't likely to let that happen.

Maybe I'll finally try changing my oil at longer intervals than the 3000 miles I currently change my M1 at (I know, I know, it's overkill). "New" M1 at 5K mile intervals would cost less than "old" M1 at 3K intervals, while still providing more than adequate protection for a street car.

It's also too bad that they aren't using this opportunity to market a 5W-20 M1, since that seems to be the way that many auto manufacturers (Ford, Honda) are headed. Guess I'll have to stick with 5W-30, or use the Motorcraft 5W-20 synthetic blend (which is cheaper anyway) if I want to use 5W-20 in my '00 GT.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you are over-changing esp for a daily driver but of course that's your call. I would certainly recommend 5k with the new SS M1.

I am also not going with 5w20 - I do not believe it will provide any upside, only downside, and mpg is no concern. The European cars are sticking with 5w50's, and BMW is specing a 0w60 in some models! Yes, they do sustained hi speed at times, but actually one can drive at higher average speeds here, where running at 85 mph hour after hour is not out of the ordinary - I have driven the 'Bahns in Germany, and it is flat out, then miles of 100 kph (62 mph) then 10 minutes of flat out, etc. My point is that I believe they stick to the higher vis oils for a reason, and modern engines are just not as different from one another as they once were. US machining is very tight these days, and many of the Euro engines are V8's!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Using Fake synthetic, aka hydrocracked dino oil.

I hope this SuperSyn is not that. Now that companies can get away with calling the hydrocrack stuff synthetic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,359 Posts
You mentioned that 10w-30 is for older or high mileage vehicles. My 97 is over 50,000 miles and i have been using Castrol Syntec 5w-30 since i got the car.

What mileage decitates the switch to 10w-30? Should i switch or keep with the 5w-30?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AV99GT said:
Using Fake synthetic, aka hydrocracked dino oil.

I hope this SuperSyn is not that. Now that companies can get away with calling the hydrocrack stuff synthetic.
Doesn't anyone ont his forum ever use the Search, because m,ost of these topics have been dealt with, and you will get a far deeper answer than from those who write back a one liner such as "I use Amsoil and it is great" or "Mobil 1 for me".
A Search is really suggested, but here is oil 101:

1) A good indicator of oil competency is its API Grouping: Syntec is a hydrowax, or Group III lube, better than a GII which is what regular quality dino oils are. Syntec cheapened its formula to G3 after building a reputation and ad campaign based on its G4 formula. Very shaky practice.
2) Group IV includes the PAO's such as Mobil 1. It is better than Group III. Mobil's new formula is improved over old one
3) G5 is ester-based oils such as Red Line and Motul.

I posted a lot on this topic: Search on "A professional looks at synthetic"..and "tribologist")
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Cobra'03 said:

Doesn't anyone ont his forum ever use the Search, because m,ost of these topics have been dealt with, and you will get a far deeper answer than from those who write back a one liner such as "I use Amsoil and it is great" or "Mobil 1 for me".
A Search is really suggested, but here is oil 101:

1) A good indicator of oil competency is its API Grouping: Syntec is a hydrowax, or Group III lube, better than a GII which is what regular quality dino oils are. Syntec cheapened its formula to G3 after building a reputation and ad campaign based on its G4 formula. Very shaky practice.
2) Group IV includes the PAO's such as Mobil 1. It is better than Group III. Mobil's new formula is improved over old one
3) G5 is ester-based oils such as Red Line and Motul.

I posted a lot on this topic: Search on "A professional looks at synthetic"..and "tribologist")
What does doing a search have to due with what i posted.

96Sled said "Elaborate please." to my previous post.

Oh Well

I will say that Your posts have been informative.

Can you tell me exactly what the SuperSyn is ?? When someone does or Mobil actually shows what they put in there on their MSDS now with this change, than I will always wonder, and be cautious. Especially after what Castrol pulled with the Syntec, and the Judge that made the ruling on that one should be evaluated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
AV99GT said:


What does doing a search have to due with what i posted.

96Sled said "Elaborate please." to my previous post.

Oh Well

I will say that Your posts have been informative.

Can you tell me exactly what the SuperSyn is ?? When someone does or Mobil actually shows what they put in there on their MSDS now with this change, than I will always wonder, and be cautious. Especially after what Castrol pulled with the Syntec, and the Judge that made the ruling on that one should be evaluated.
I meant that the "has Mobil 1 been cheapened?" question has been asked and answered, as has probably every other question on topic related to syns. So it is in people's best interest IMHO to Search on topic rather than just get a one-line answer (which is usually just a "here is what I use" type. Bierbelly and others who are pros make great info available, as compared to the Web experts who are just blowing air, or even worse, sadly misinformed. Do not get huffy - I meant no flame.

SuperSyn appears to be a further refinement of M1's PAO based formula, with addition alkylated aromatics and a more sophisticated additive package. It appears to outperform the old formula, so it is definitely not A Syntec scenario.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
isdnmatt said:
What bout 5W20? Are they asking everything to go against manufacturers recommendations?

-Matt
To strictly ansswer your question as asked, of course not - no oil company would put itself at legal risk doing so.

However, if I understand the spirit of your question, Mobil 1's position a sstated on their website in the FAQ's is that one can safely use their 5w30 in any car recommending 5w20. In part, this is due to the low/high temp pumpability of M1. Not many people know this, but the short0chain moelcules in syns actually cause less lubricant induced friction (i.e. the heat produced by the action of the oil against ITSELF), similar to tire rolling resistance. This allows two things:
1) Syns maitain high pumpability
2) They produce less heat by their own sake
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Cobra'03 said:


I meant that the "has Mobil 1 been cheapened?" question has been asked and answered, as has probably every other question on topic related to syns. So it is in people's best interest IMHO to Search on topic rather than just get a one-line answer (which is usually just a "here is what I use" type. Bierbelly and others who are pros make great info available, as compared to the Web experts who are just blowing air, or even worse, sadly misinformed. Do not get huffy - I meant no flame.

SuperSyn appears to be a further refinement of M1's PAO based formula, with addition alkylated aromatics and a more sophisticated additive package. It appears to outperform the old formula, so it is definitely not A Syntec scenario.

No flame taken, and my post wasn't supposed to be huffy, although I see how it could be taken that way. Another reason why I put the "Oh well" in there. :D

I was just pluzzed by your response to my follow up post. As I have read all your posts about synthetics. It was just weird a few days before your post about the new Mobil 1 I was checking the Mobil product data sheet area on their web page and I saw that they had placed Mobil 1 Tri-syn under a semi-synthetic "folder". they have since updated it and it is now under synthetic motor oil. So now you see why I was (still am) worried.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
468 Posts
I just put the new stuff in a few days ago. I was wondering what the new formula was now I know. This stuff is expensive but so are new motors.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top