Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I plan on buying the PNP, IAT sensor, and a WideBand O2 kit with gauge. My questions lie with the WideBand.
Is it preferred to use two wide bands, one for each side?
Also, of the WideBand kits offered on the web sight are they all ready to hook up or do they need to be voltage matched to work with the PNP?
I'd really prefer to not have any hassles if possible...thanks!
I think 2 widebands is mildly preferable to just one. As you'll have batch-fire fueling (2 batches of 4 injectors) you can request that batch 1 is injectors 1-4, and batch 2 is injectors 5-8 when you order.
You'll also need to request a 2nd wideband input when you order. Then you just turn on dual fuel tables, and table 1 controls bank 1 with feedback from wideband 1, and table 2 controls bank 2 with feedback from wideband 2. That is how I run my install and there was more of a fueling difference needed between each side of the engine to maintain an even AFR than I would have guessed. However most people don't do this and their cars run just fine.

Any of the aftermarket wideband kits are ready to work with MS, they all have at least 1 analogue output available. You may or may not have an issue with volts. Most of the time that problem is caused by an un-equal grounding of the wideband compared to MS. Meaning one has a better ground than the other. I have tried re-grounding both my MS and my widebands but I still have that difference, so I compensated with the configuration. It's not difficult.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Hmm didn't think about two o2's I as going to just use the one wideband I have in my downpipe. Is there a advantage to using two?

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express
You can't really use 2 in your situation. If you tried to put widebands before the turbo they'd likely burn up. I don't know if there are any sensors on the market that can handle that kind of heat and pressure.

After the turbo obviously you have all the exhaust lumped up together so there's no way to distinguish one side of the engine from the other, so there's no point there.

Most people don't use dual widebands and don't have problems. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
You can't really use 2 in your situation. If you tried to put widebands before the turbo they'd likely burn up. I don't know if there are any sensors on the market that can handle that kind of heat and pressure.

After the turbo obviously you have all the exhaust lumped up together so there's no way to distinguish one side of the engine from the other, so there's no point there.

Most people don't use dual widebands and don't have problems. I wouldn't worry about it.
Man I would have never thought of that, but makes perfect sense. I will do it that way. I already have one AEM wide band, with gauge. Should I just buy another one of them? Or is there a better setup that the MS likes? Maybe I could just sell my AEM and get something else. Man I always see you posting great MS info. I might have to pay you to help me ;) I am doing a MS3x and converting to COP, and using boost control, and launch control, and two step.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I already have one AEM wide band, with gauge. Should I just buy another one of them? Or is there a better setup that the MS likes? Maybe I could just sell my AEM and get something else.
I would stick with your AEM if it works fine. I'm saying with a single turbo you can only use a single wideband. You're probably set with what you've already got.

Man I always see you posting great MS info. I might have to pay you to help me ;) I am doing a MS3x and converting to COP, and using boost control, and launch control, and two step.
That sounds like a fun project. I'd like to do the same setup too eventually. I don't have a turbo yet though. I'm down to help for food and gas money, but spare time is pretty hard to come by. Where in PA are you?

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Any idea when the PNP will be in stock again? I'm tempted to buy now and wait for it to be shipped before the greed factor kicks in and the price goes up...

·
Registered
409 Posts
Any day now, production is just a bit backed up with the MS3 Pro launch but that's about wrapped up.

Greed factor? We have very little of that... when our prices go up, which has happened semi-across the board only twice in our history, it's because our costs went up and there was nothing we could do to get those costs back down.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Ms3 pro vs pnp. Which is better for a 363 on boost? I've been reading about both and the more I read the more twisted my brain gets. The car is a 1991 lx 5.0L if that makes a difference. I just don't know what the best choice is...

·
Registered
409 Posts
Either will do the job, the both have their strengths for what you're doing, so it really comes down to what features are most important to you. Both of these ECUs will run your engine with excellent driveability and performance. The MSPNP is well, PNP, and the install generally takes less than an hour and you fire the car up. It's also at a bit lower pricepoint. The MS3-Pro adds a bunch of extra I/O and the capability to tune individual cylinders and get that last 1-2% of power out of the motor and make it run it's absolute best, if you spend the time/money to fine tune each cylinder.

Which of these are needs? Wants? Don't wants?

*Plug-N-Play (1 hour roughly) installation? (MSPNP)
*I want to build an entirely new engine harness (MS3 Pro - though you could also just build a short adapter to the stock harness)
*Sequential Fuel Injection? (MS3 Pro)
*Ability to convert to sequential (COP) ignition? (MS3 Pro)
*Individual cylinder trims? (MS3 Pro)
*Onboard SDCard datalogging? (MS3 Pro)
*USB interface (both have serial, MS3 Pro has both USB/Serial)

Anything else that's a priority for you? Let us know and we'll help you to know where you can get the most bang for your buck.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Still a tough call. I'll have to read/learn more before I choose. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Ok, I've decided that I want to install the MS3-Pro on my 1991 Mustang. Is their a guide specific to my Mustang or do I need to hire a NASA scientist for help? Has anyone already done this installation on a similar car?

I'm not concerned about connecting sensors so much. My concern is connecting the ECU to the stock harnes as a starting point.

My second concern is the sensors... ;)

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Ok, I've decided that I want to install the MS3-Pro on my 1991 Mustang. Is their a guide specific to my Mustang or do I need to hire a NASA scientist for help? Has anyone already done this installation on a similar car?

I'm not concerned about connecting sensors so much. My concern is connecting the ECU to the stock harnes as a starting point.

My second concern is the sensors... ;)
The wiring isn't very difficult. If you've wired in a car stereo before, this is the same thing just more wires. However more wires doesn't make it more complicated, just go at a comfortable pace and be thorough.

Diyautotune's break-out-box will really make the wiring easy. It plugs in to the factory harness the way your computer does, but then extends each of the harnesses' wire to a place on a board that is spread out and labeled so that you can connect to them extremely easily.

Ford 60 pin break out box

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
So I would solder the MS-3 Pro's harnes to the break-out-box and then plug the break-out-box to the stock Ford wiring harness and that's it? I like it.

Then just run the other end of the MS-3 Pro to the sensors?

What factory Ford sensors should I replace for ease and accuracy? Ex, I know my TPS sensor is failing. Should I buy another Ford one or is there a better option?

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
So I would solder the MS-3 Pro's harnes to the break-out-box and then plug the break-out-box to the stock Ford wiring harness and that's it? I like it.

Then just run the other end of the MS-3 Pro to the sensors?
Well the factory harness is going to give you all the sensor and injector wires. You're only running the MS-3 Pro to the break out box, which is giving you the bridge between the MS-3 Pro and the factory harness. With a little bit of soldering you're essentially creating an plug-and-play adapter harness. The only thing you'd run "outside" of the factory harness would be things like a clutch switch for launch/flat shift and any other auxiliary stuff. BUT, that's where the b.o.b. really shines, in that you wire those auxiliary circuits to the factory harness "side" of the b.o.b. too, so that way you still have a single place to connect to for all of your stuff.

What factory Ford sensors should I replace for ease and accuracy? Ex, I know my TPS sensor is failing. Should I buy another Ford one or is there a better option?
According to diyautotune they've found the GM temperature sensors to be more responsive than the Ford ones. So you may want to consider installing GM sensors for engine and air coolant temperature. I still use the Ford ones without issue though.

The Ford TPS is perfectly fine and plenty sensitive from what I've seen on my car, which uses a foxbody TPS.

·
Registered
409 Posts
According to diyautotune they've found the GM temperature sensors to be more responsive than the Ford ones. So you may want to consider installing GM sensors for engine and air coolant temperature. I still use the Ford ones without issue though.
In my experience the Ford sensors work just fine, we don't have any issues with the sensors themselves-- the placement of the IAT sensor in the throttle body of some Fords can cause heat soak issues on a hot-restart, but that can often be tuned around for the most part.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Should I mount the IAT sensor just before the throttle body? I currently have a Vortech Power Cooler, so it would be mounted in aluminum.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Should I mount the IAT sensor just before the throttle body? I currently have a Vortech Power Cooler, so it would be mounted in aluminum.
That would be great, we also recommend te outlet of the intercooler as another great spot. That's far out of the heat of the engine bay usually, but still post intercooler and pre-TB.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I have a meth kit on my car and the nozzle is right before the throttle body. Would I have to move the meth nozzle farther away from the IAT? This is on a 89 fox body. I want to get the PNP system.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts