Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

We've just come out with a MSPNP for '86-'93 5.0 Mustangs. And now we have a '94-'95 Mustang MSPNP too! This one isn't just a repackaging of our MS2 and adapter harness combo; it has a lot more standard equipment. Some of the upgrades from the harness version include:

• 4 bar MAP sensor standard
  • Onboard barometric pressure sensor
  • Peak and hold injector drivers - lets you run low impedance injectors with the stock wiring harness
  • Knock sensor input and headphone jack for listening to knock sensor
  • Boost control output standard
  • 2 step rev limiter
  • And more!
Price is $839, including tuning cable and software CD.

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
LOOKS GREAT! nice features/upgrades , but it doesnt de-value the first gen system either. bravo! :cool:

P.S. so is the first gen still available, or does this replace it?

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
First generation systems are still available - we'll see how things go and decide if they need to be kept in production down the road.
so your gonna see if there is a demand for both... i understand, cool.

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts

We've just come out with a MSPNP for '86-'93 5.0 Mustangs. And now we have a '94-'95 Mustang MSPNP too! This one isn't just a repackaging of our MS2 and adapter harness combo; it has a lot more standard equipment. Some of the upgrades from the harness version include:

• 4 bar MAP sensor standard
  • Onboard barometric pressure sensor
  • Peak and hold injector drivers - lets you run low impedance injectors with the stock wiring harness
  • Knock sensor input and headphone jack for listening to knock sensor
  • Boost control output standard
  • 2 step rev limiter
  • And more!
Price is $839, including tuning cable and software CD.
Is this based off the MS3? If not what's the difference? Doesn't seem the PnP is a 16x16 like the MS3. I ask because I am thinking real hard about getting mega squirt for my turbo stang. I would like the most advance setup you have for the stang, even if it's not PnP I will put it together no problem. If there is a more advance setup please PM me a list and price of everything I would need for fully loaded MS3. Thanks! Seems its might be cheaper than PnP? Unless the PnP is better?

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
The MSPNP Gen2's are MS2-Extra based units and are very well featured units that'll give many people all they want/need in a standalone ECU at a very affordable price. We haven't ruled out offering MS3 based MSPNP models for Fox body cars as well if the demand is there. The price would be somewhere in the $1100-1200 range or so probably, and would allow for 8cyl sequential fuel and ignition with several spare inputs/outputs as well as USB and SDCard datalogging. If the demand is there we can make it happen.

In the meantime if you want MS3 capability the unit you linked can be wired in and will do the job nicely. If you go with the model that includes the MS3X you'll add the sequential fuel and spark capabilities plus some extra I/O.

MegaSquirt-III EMS System with MS3X Expansion V3.57 - Assembled DIYAutoTune.com

Also you could use a DIYBOB to build a PNP harness adapter for easy PNP install using your stock harness-- Here's a link to the DIYBOB kit for the EEC-4

·
Formerly known as jbj302
2,730 Posts
My buddy ordered the Megasquirt PNP. we got it all loaded and the car started but it's running rich at idle. Like 10.0. We need some serious lesson on how to use this thing. I was pretty good at using a PMS..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
My buddy ordered the Megasquirt PNP. we got it all loaded and the car started but it's running rich at idle. Like 10.0. We need some serious lesson on how to use this thing. I was pretty good at using a PMS..

You can skip the sections dealing with circuits and stuff, but if you haven't yet, read these 2 docs, in this order.

In particular if you haven't set the required fuel "req fuel" values yet, that needs to be done.

Configuring MegaSquirt-II

Tuning Your MegaSquirt-II™ (or MicroSquirt®)

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

First, be sure you've set the Required Fuel number if you are running nonstock injectors (see the MSPNP manual's section on adjusting for larger injectors). Second, adjust the VE table at the low RPM numbers with the engine hot to get a smooth idle. You will probably still be a bit rich, but can go a lot leaner than the 10's. Last, if it is still rich when starting but gets normal when warmed up, adjust the Warmup Enrichment curve at the temperatures where you're having trouble.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I am extremely, extremely interested in the pnp. I just wonder if it will work for me. I have changed everything on my engine so a stock tune won't be a good starting point if I do get the pnp.
My main question is can I tune with 60 pound injectors? Also, can I use a wide band O2 sensor(s)instead of the stock ones? Lastly, Is there anything beyond an IAT sensor that I will need to add? The engine basics are 331ci, vortech s-trim, trick flow high ports, etc; the only stock parts on the engine are the harnes wires and the distributer. everything else has been upgraded. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I am extremely, extremely interested in the pnp. I just wonder if it will work for me. I have changed everything on my engine so a stock tune won't be a good starting point if I do get the pnp.
My main question is can I tune with 60 pound injectors? Also, can I use a wide band O2 sensor(s)instead of the stock ones? Lastly, Is there anything beyond an IAT sensor that I will need to add? The engine basics are 331ci, vortech s-trim, trick flow high ports, etc; the only stock parts on the engine are the harnes wires and the distributer. everything else has been upgraded. Thanks in advance!
If the base tune will get the engine fired up, it's a good starting point. :)

Yes you can run with 60lb injectors.
Yes you can use 1 or 2 widebands instead of the stock ones, or can use the stock ones.
You shouldn't need anything else beyond the IAT. If it's a fox mustang all you really need to do is move the IAT to the intake piping before the TB. If you have 94+ the IAT is already in a great spot so you can use what you've got.

Like you, nothing under my hood is "stock" except the distributor and wiring harness.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Question on the rich afr ratio.
Provided you have the base input settings in place and a wide band. Shouldn't the auto tune feature sort this out in short order? I.e. enter your desired afr ratio.

I am planning to purchase ms2 pnp and I have high expectations for the auto tune feature for the target afr.

Let me know if i should be expecting anything different.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Question on the rich afr ratio.
Provided you have the base input settings in place and a wide band. Shouldn't the auto tune feature sort this out in short order? I.e. enter your desired afr ratio.

I am planning to purchase ms2 pnp and I have high expectations for the auto tune feature for the target afr.

Let me know if i should be expecting anything different.

Thanks
It works pretty well to tune the main fuel table. There are a couple limitations:

1. You'll need the registered version of TunerStudio.
2. It only tunes the main fuel table - it does not (currently) tune functions like warmup or acceleration enrichment.
3. Sometimes it's best to tune the idle by feel - and by what pulls the most vacuum - than to a specific air/fuel ratio.
4. You can tune it to hit a specific air/fuel ratio, but sometimes it takes a dyno to figure out what that specific air/fuel ratio that makes the most power ought to be.

Just keep the limits in mind, keep an eye on your AFR gauge (lift AT ONCE if you have dangerously lean readings) and you should do pretty well.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thanks for the clarification.

I'll have to keep it in mind to purchase the registered version of Tuner Studios. My intent is to sort most of the base tune out prior to a trip to the dyno.

My combo is NA with a high lift roller mechanical cam, ideally the engine is not to be idled for extended periods of time (due to cam oiling).

Any chances that someone may have a high strung NA MS tune to start with?

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
The autotune can do a fine job for areas of the map you see often when driving. It will definitely get you road-worthy without breaking a sweat. Let me add that you need to make sure your voltage out of the wideband matches the voltage seen by MS. If not, you'll need to correct wiring or adjust the curve on either the WB side or the MS side to match things up.

For the solid roller just keep your idle high, 1000 to 1100, and you'll be okay.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I plan on buying the PNP, IAT sensor, and a WideBand O2 kit with gauge. My questions lie with the WideBand.
Is it preferred to use two wide bands, one for each side?
Also, of the WideBand kits offered on the web sight are they all ready to hook up or do they need to be voltage matched to work with the PNP?
I'd really prefer to not have any hassles if possible...thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Hmm didn't think about two o2's I as going to just use the one wideband I have in my downpipe. Is there a advantage to using two?

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

1 - 20 of 73 Posts