Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Finally bought my first supercharger, a 2.1 KB for my 95 GT :smile2: A friend decided to step up his program and go with more cubes and turbo and made me a great deal.

My GT is pretty stock at the moment, just a H pipe and cat back, 65mm throttle body and will get some shorty headers soon.

I plan on buying the following items in anticipation for boost.

- Walbro 255 pump (Already bought)

- Ford Racing 47 lb injectors.

- 90mm LMAF. -- Should I upgrade to an AFM powerpipe or will the CAI I have now work?

- Have my tune redone (Plus wideband and boost gage)

I have 3 different pulleys that came with the kit, the 12 psi one is installed on the KB now. WIth a safe tune and the items listed is there any reason why I can't run 12 PSI?

I was also thinking because I have to swap lower intakes (GT40 kit) while I'm there maybe pull the heads and put new head gaskets. Reasoning is maybe the 22 year old head gaskets might not like boost.

I'm very excited to install the KB over winter and have some fun next year, just want to do it right!

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
There is no way I would pull the stock heads, replace perfectly good gaskets, and then reinstall the stock heads. Especially since if you try running 12 pounds, you will pop them anyway before you get the tune right (it only takes one WOT with a little detonation). I would start off with the largest pulley you can fit under the hood (less boost) and work on getting the tune perfected. Then step up the boost.

The beauty of the superchargers is that you done NEED good heads, intake, cams, etc. to make power. But once that power level starts getting old, you will WANT all the other stuff. And instead of the heads increasing horsepower by 30, with the SC they will improve 35. ;)

You should get tmoss to port that GT40 lower as you are stuck with that manifold. Unless you want to covert to a fox setup, a 75mm throttle body is the largest you can buy for the SN95. KB's want as large as possible.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is no way I would pull the stock heads, replace perfectly good gaskets, and then reinstall the stock heads. Especially since if you try running 12 pounds, you will pop them anyway before you get the tune right (it only takes one WOT with a little detonation). I would start off with the largest pulley you can fit under the hood (less boost) and work on getting the tune perfected. Then step up the boost.

The beauty of the superchargers is that you done NEED good heads, intake, cams, etc. to make power. But once that power level starts getting old, you will WANT all the other stuff. And instead of the heads increasing horsepower by 30, with the SC they will improve 35. ;)

You should get tmoss to port that GT40 lower as you are stuck with that manifold. Unless you want to covert to a fox setup, a 75mm throttle body is the largest you can buy for the SN95. KB's want as large as possible.

Thanks for answering. I'd rather stay with with the SN95 throttle body. I know 65mm is a little small but on a budget at this time. I am considering a Tmoss porting later on.

Trust me, I would love to do heads and a cam but just don't have the $$$ at this time. While I would like to do 12 psi off the bat, maybe I will start with less to make sure evrything is ok. Before the car hits the street full time I will go hit a dyno and make sure it's safe to rip.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Let me know if you need any photos or the KB installation instructions when you get ready to install. Good luck!

·
Registered
21,854 Posts
leave stock heads and cam, will not likely need a cam upgrade for a while

suggest go straight to deka 80 injectors, will last for future, and are very good at low PW.

You need to get the Intake tract to where you want it.

Spend the time and money now on 90mm TB and maf

You are going to spend a lot of time in tuning, esp the sn processor

If you change the size of the TB down the road, you will need to retune.

you might want to use the largest pulley for now, not necessary but easier.

·
Indo-Canuck-Yankee
2,736 Posts
Agree with Indy. Go for a Moates Quarterhorse for tuning and an F3 for final chip, you won't be disappointed after some diligent effort on the tune.

·
Twin Screw
1,198 Posts
Put a 10lb pully on it. Get a meth kit and get a tune from an sct dealer. Tuner used 80mm shorty pro m which flows more than a 90mm. Too bad you doing this now. I will be pulling my engine soon. Have afrs and steeda blower cam that will be up for sale. Dont know if stock ecu will do low inpedence injectors. 44lb trick flows will do 550rwhp. If your on a budget this is the cheapest way.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
leave stock heads and cam, will not likely need a cam upgrade for a while

suggest go straight to deka 80 injectors, will last for future, and are very good at low PW.

You need to get the Intake tract to where you want it.

Spend the time and money now on 90mm TB and maf

You are going to spend a lot of time in tuning, esp the sn processor

If you change the size of the TB down the road, you will need to retune.

you might want to use the largest pulley for now, not necessary but easier.
Indy, I got a new 90mm LMAF. I don't plan on making big power with this car so I'm really leaning towards the 47lb units, they are also less expensive. Long block is staying stock for a while. I did decide do pull the heads and install fresh gaskets and ARP bolts.

Agree with Indy. Go for a Moates Quarterhorse for tuning and an F3 for final chip, you won't be disappointed after some diligent effort on the tune.
Shaker, I have a Jaybird and chip. I've found a nice gentleman with a solid reputation tuning 94-95 cars. I'll be working with him to get the tune right. Will be ordering a wide band and might split a QH with a friend to make everything easier.

Put a 10lb pully on it. Get a meth kit and get a tune from an sct dealer. Tuner used 80mm shorty pro m which flows more than a 90mm. Too bad you doing this now. I will be pulling my engine soon. Have afrs and steeda blower cam that will be up for sale. Dont know if stock ecu will do low inpedence injectors. 44lb trick flows will do 550rwhp. If your on a budget this is the cheapest way.
I'm not doing everything right away but rolling on a small budget. I actually had a KILLER deal offered to me on some AFR 1389 heads I had to turn down unfortunately. I have 6, 9 and 12 lb pulleys I'll be using the 9 lb.

Thanks for all your replies gentlemen!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts