Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What suspension is the best bang for your buck looking to get good handling was looking at maximum motorsports suspension kits but they're expensive any recommendations?(still considering mm). Cars been sitting a while just bought it looking to take some turns also needs a brake job what rotors pads?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What's your objective and intended use for the car?
Street use mild strip and reducing body roll and the rear end from coming out I mean I'd love to road race it not a HUGE fan of drag still will tree up tho

·
Registered
266 Posts
First get the chassis braced up with sub frame connectors, lower engine cradle brace and maybe a strut tower brace. Then it will be time to talk suspension.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First get the chassis braced up with sub frame connectors, lower engine cradle brace and maybe a strut tower brace. Then it will be time to talk suspension.
Is there a kit Its been sitting needs struts or coilovers now

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IMHO strut tower braces are only useful on convertibles...I wouldn't waste money putting one on a coupe.
Thank you one less thing I need everyone on this forum knows allot about these cars I'm so excited to learn more

·
Registered
303 Posts
Best I could tell you is get all your stuff second hand. Lots of people sell off decent parts in the quest to go faster with parts vs experience. So they will buy a nice coil over kit and sell a nice set of H&R springs and some good shocks and struts for really cheap. I can tell you from experience that coil overs don't make that big a difference so don't worry about buying the latest greatest part. I would also do a single part or two at a time and see how it makes the car perform, unless you go with a pre engineered kit from like Steeda or MM.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
I would start with buying some periods.

Then sell off the dubs and get some good, light 18s.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
For ride quality and cornering you need to reduce suspension bind. The worst offender on these cars is the rear suspension. That's not to say reducing bind up front won't help, but the rear suspension is at best a CF compromise and at worst a demon nightmare. With that said, piecing a suspension together in order to stay within a reasonable budget is going to be tough. Most of us start with springs and struts/shocks. But in my experience, trying to stay in budget generally means the cheapest springs, and marginal struts/shocks. This generally results in disappointment.

For an entry level strut/shock, I recommend Bilstein HDs. New, these are more expensive than say a Koni STR.T but are a very good foundation for just about any upgrade you may want in the future, including C/Os. Bil HDs also control a wide range of spring rates that you may wish to try, meaning you won't get a mismatch. You will still have bind because you haven't addressed anything like the control-arm bushings. However, once you get into those pieces, the budget can get out of control in a hurry since some parts should be purchased together. You will need to decide how far you want to go but in any case, focus on reducing bind. The Bils will do their job much better once the bind is gone or at least substantially reduced.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Id start with:

Full lenght subframe connectors
Rear lower control arms (MM or J&M)
Bilsteins struts/shocks
H&R springs

You can procure most of this used in classifieds section without breaking the bank.... make sure that all your steering components are in good shape and you should have a very nice daily driver...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts