Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 GT....all stock. It has 43749 miles....I moved to Florida and had an oil change done and I switched to synthetic oil...I drove the car and could hear an indistinct noise now and then...it got more frequent over time....I took it to a mechanic, and was told it was a rod knock. I could not fix it at that time ($$$) so, I drove it as sparingly as possible. 3 miles from home I hear a bang, and a loud metal on metal noise. It has sat in the driveway since. I need the car back on the road, and so the question is...what to do? What engine should I replace mine with?? I have a max of 5K, but would like to spend as little as possible but I want to keep my Mustang. Advice Welcome.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
With $5,000 to spend you could easily get a good used 99+ engine with plenty left for head porting, etc. In fact, you could get a complete new Bullitt engine here for $3695.

·
Registered
491 Posts
The bullitt crate motor is a good idea, but if you look down a little theres a cobra crate motor for $4895:evil: But any way you go, if your not looking to build a forged motor, I think getting a crate motor is the way to go(get 99+ gt if you get a stock gt motor). Install might be a bit pricey, so if I would go for the bullitt motor if you want to keep it under 5k.
Dan

·
Registered
491 Posts
You will probably want to get a dyno tune done, and you might have to redo some of the fuel system because your car has a return style fuel system, and that motor uses a returnless fuel system, but Im not sure on that. Other then that, the 96-98 h-pipe connects to the headers in a diffrent location then the 99+ does, but you can just swap on you old headers(they fit just the same), and that should be all the problems you run into. Do a search on engine swaps, you should be able to find out what you need.
Dan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, what engine is the best to get the car up and running again?
I am not concerned with a performance upgrade at this point, I need the car fixed, and I am not doing any of the work and I am rather ignorant when it comes to the specifics. So I will be paying someone else to do the work. I am looking to get a reliable engine replacement so that I can have the car for the foreseeable future.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts