Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was the happy owner of a 2010 GT500 until I went to the state inspection station get a sticker. The car has been mildly modded with long tube headers, pulleys, cat delete xpipe, and a tune via SCT X3 tuner. The inspection station has rejected me due to the emissions test. It originally failed because the emissions subsystem (catalyst and 02sensors) was in a "not ready" state. I drove the car 100 miles or so, and tried again. Still not ready. After further investigation the rear 02 sensors were disconnected. I bought harness extenders and connected the sensors and it's now failing on codes P133 and P2196 which are "pending". The previous owner is suggesting that I spend money on installing cats and then flashing the computer back to the stock tune to help pass emissions. The big issues is that the stock tune isn't very driveable considering the mods and there is risk that I could hurt the engine. I also don't know how long I would need to drive until the computer will allow the car to be inspected. Any advice is appreciated. The car was from Penn, and I live in Mass where our emissions standards are strict - second to only California. The inspection station is forgiving but tricking the state emissions computer is difficult.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Was the happy owner of a 2010 GT500 until I went to the state inspection station get a sticker. The car has been mildly modded with long tube headers, pulleys, cat delete xpipe, and a tune via SCT X3 tuner. The inspection station has rejected me due to the emissions test. It originally failed because the emissions subsystem (catalyst and 02sensors) was in a "not ready" state. I drove the car 100 miles or so, and tried again. Still not ready. After further investigation the rear 02 sensors were disconnected. I bought harness extenders and connected the sensors and it's now failing on codes P133 and P2196 which are "pending". The previous owner is suggesting that I spend money on installing cats and then flashing the computer back to the stock tune to help pass emissions. The big issues is that the stock tune isn't very driveable considering the mods and there is risk that I could hurt the engine. I also don't know how long I would need to drive until the computer will allow the car to be inspected. Any advice is appreciated. The car was from Penn, and I live in Mass where our emissions standards are strict - second to only California. The inspection station is forgiving but tricking the state emissions computer is difficult.
I'm an NYS inspector on light duty vehicles, I've seen monitors become ready anywhere from 50 miles to 500 miles. There's a list of steps to go through to quicken the pace at which the monitors pop up. I can't remember, but it's a long list and I'm assuming there is a pl as ce online to figure out how to do it.

No way to trick the emissions tests up here. However..... I've seen a lot of people illegally take stickers from one vehicle and putting on others.....

Best bet..... going to need cats (visually get inspected I néw York states to make sure they have them), will need to plug in o2 sensors, and will most likely have to have it retuned, in order to run proper air/fuel so the o2 sensors don't set off the check engine light...
Otherwise, in NY you are allowed one monitor not ready (for emissions on 96 and newer vehicles) on certain vehicles such as these mustangs. And luckily the o2 sensors are the last to be ready. Therefore, you may get lucky if you can reset the codes or unplug and plug the battery back up to reset all monitors, and drive the "perfect amount of miles" to ready all but the o2 monitor. Which you can check with a obd2 scanner device.....

My buddy with a 2010 whipple built/owned gt5p0, and shelby tuned had to add parts, and retune.... he then took off parts, and has a multi stage device controller.

Good luck.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Emissions are a complete joke. At the end of this year in Vancouver Canada they are getting rid of it because the newer vehicles run so clean. They need to start doing emissions on some of these piece of crap semi trucks on the road.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Emissions are a complete joke. At the end of this year in Vancouver Canada they are getting rid of it because the newer vehicles run so clean. They need to start doing emissions on some of these piece of crap semi trucks on the road.

I'm moving to Canada...

·
Registered
298 Posts

NY has two different sets of inspections. Emissions, and safety. Safety is on vehicles 1995 AND older, and vehicles made within 1 year of the current year. For example, since it's 2014, vehicles made in 2014 AND 2013 are safety inspections only. And next year in 2015, vehicles 2014 and 2015 vehicles will be safety inspections while 2013 now need to be tested for emissions.

Safety inspections include suspension components, lights, tires, brakes, horn, wipers, seatbelts, gas tank caps (unless capless), windshield glass, and mirrors, serpentine beltz, looking for power steering or brake fluid leaks, and things of that nature.

Emissions portion of inspections are ensuring the vehicle has catalytic converters, charcoal cans if equipped from factory, thermostatic air cleaners, stuff of that nature. ASWELL AS, plugging the vehicle into the NYVIP2 system that reads the engine for monitors ready, or not. Including KOEO, and KOER.
It's either a safety inspection, or a safety and emissions inspection. There is no solely emissions inspection.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Sounds like the emissions inspection failures you are having are not unusual at all. You car would fail that way in many places, including here.

A properly set-up car and tune can solve your issues.
The P0133 is typical with long-tube headers, and a tune adjustment usually takes care of that issue.
The other dtc may go away once this code is resolved.

As far as the cats issue, you can get high-flow cats if they are acceptable in your locality.

For drive cycles, just drive it normal a couple of days (at varying steady speeds for 10-15 minutes at a time or more) and you'll usually get the monitors all ready, assuming there are no issues and nothing is turned off in the tune.

We too have visual and obdii emission inspection requirements; the criteria can be met and you can pass, without having to "go back to stock".

·
Twin Screw
1,207 Posts
Ma emissions are a joke. 15 years and older are emissions exempt. Years ago if you remember MA made all the testers buy those rollers to put the car on to test emissions. That lasted only a few years and the testers eventually ate the close to 50,000 it cost them to use this equipment. Equipment never worked correctly. That's one of the reasons I like odb1 cars and and older body style vehicles , ie older than 15 years. Trust me the "right" shop will get you a sticker. Ask around.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Absolute joke. And this car runs really clean. I wish they would just make us pay an extra fee to bypass all this ####. And yes I do remember the dynos. Christ I built my Fox body around that emissions crap and ended up running the terrible flowing Edlebrock heads just to get it to pass. A lot of shops lost big money with those stupid dynos

·
Registered
82 Posts
There are allot of loop holes around emissions aswell. Well here in Canada. Only in Vancouver you required aircare. But if you had an address outside of vancouver you just said the vehicle will primarily be driven in that location and stored. So you insure for the year and don't drive it then just go in the next day and change the address to vancouver at another location and claim changr of plans. Then u are good for the year. There are loop holes in every system I am sure you guys know of some or just need to ask around. :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Have you tried the stock tune? Just wondering why it wouldn't be drivable since you mainly only have an upgraded exhaust. You can get a catted pipe or have cats cut in. Preferably you'd get a catted pipe for long tubes that you could swap in at inspection time if the extra performance minus cats appeals to you.

We have pretty stringent emission inspections here as well. There are work arounds if you know the right people.

·
Twin Screw
1,207 Posts
Maybe you can ask the previous owner if he has the catted pipes he took out. If you have the handheld tuner it was tuned with you can just switch the tune for the emmisions test which is only idle stuff. Then switch back when you leave. Thing is rear o2s are looking for a certain number and are not seeing it because of cat delete. If you can get it so there is no codes and is ready for the sniff test another available car can be probed for that purpose. I dont know if they even use the tailpipe probe anymore as I havent had to do emmisions on any of my cars in a long time, they are all 15 years or older. There is a way of getting this done, just the right "parties" doing the test is key. Sorry for your troubles, I know what your going through though, dealt with this crap when my cars had to test. Its a pita to say the least. Btw who did the tune initially?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The previous owner stopped working with me once I said I was going to JMS for a tune instead of BAMA. I am disgusted with this whole thing I should have just bought a Shelby from a dealership...

Apparently he had a history with JMS. That doesn't matter it's my car now and I need a legit sticker. The parts plus the tune he provided (rear 02s off) will never pass inspection in MA

·
Twin Screw
1,207 Posts
Well best bet really is to call Dez, hes local to you. Can probably get the car tuned and sent for a sticker that day. Im sure he has experience with this as he is in MA and would know the work arounds. I wouldnt beat yourself down over the purchase. You have a nice fast car and a little hurdle to overcome. Give Mike a call hes one of the best around, can bet hes run into this issue before. Take care.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Talked to Dez a couple days ago. Nice guys no doubt I'm thinking of bringing the car there to get dropped a little...the problem is that the computer apparently needs a crap load of mileage and/or driving conditions to get all the subsystems ready for test.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I would do what dez tells u if u want a sticker if not just drive it without one... He knows what will work and can tune the car down so u don't hurt it. It's gonna cost some money though for sure

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Do you need to pass to register or insure the car? If not then just drive It with no sticker...I live in jersey, I just simply do not go thru inspection at all with any of my vehicles.

That's an interesting idea. I don't know how they are in Massachusetts, but here in PA you can't get away with that for very long. We have a lot of hawkeyed cops and troopers that will snag you quickly. It's luck of the draw, but I wouldn't try it for more than a month. The ticket is over $150.

To me, the upshot of this is that the entire emissions inspection program is put in place to make sure that cars don't drive the highways without fully functioning emissions control equipment. In short, the law exists precisely to stop the OP from doing what he is doing. Point being, I wouldn't be surprised if loopholes fail to appear, and if money has to be spent to put the car in compliance with the law.

·
Registered
241 Posts
We dont even test them here in Indiana :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts