Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started my newly built motor tonight and I don't know what happened :confused:

I primed the motor by pulling the crank sensor - I cranked it over for a minute or so and then started it. The motor was making a very loud ticking noise so I shut it down.

I started it again and the ticking noise started to go away. I was keeping an eye on my oil pressure when all of a sudden it went dead. No pressure at all. I immediately shut the engine off and I spent the next couple of hours pulling the front cover to make sure all was well.

There had been oil getting in there because the chains, tensioners and gears had oil on them. I also pulled the spark plugs from 5,6,7 & 8 and they were fine.

I didn't notice any smoke from the exhaust and I drained my oil.

The oil pump is a cobra pump with SHM gears in them. I'm wondering if something went wrong with the pump??

Is there any other mechanical reason for my oil pressure to drop so suddenly? I can't think of anything other than maybe my oil pressure sensor died, or, something is blocked somewhere.

I really need some help here.

Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
First question for ya Tom, did you change the CC size n the pistons? If so, are you sure you are not getting any piston-to-valve contact?

Thats what it sounds like to me. Did you change cams? Anything else in the valvetrain?

PM me if I can help any!
joe

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Joe,
The pistons are 11cc dish pistons. Before the motor was installed all valve train dimensions were double and triple checked. I also turned the motor over a couple of times by hand to make sure there was no piston to valve contact.

I did bleed the lash adjusters so I suspect they take some time to get oil into them. The motor started to get quiet just before the oil pressure dropped.

BTW - the whole valve train is new (cams, valves, springs)

Tom

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
the ticking was probably the top end making racket until the oil was able to be pumped up there. two things it could be....your pump<---hope not, or the gauge/sender. try replacing the sender first. if it is the pump, then the ticking noise should come back b/c the lash adjusters will not be getting any oil. how long did you leave it running all together? man, you are having nothing bu trouble with this car! you sure have some bad karma going on...good luck to ya!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well - good news and bad news.

Good news - It looks like the motor wasn't damaged. There is oil all over the inside of the front cover and in the cylinder heads. There were no shavings in the oil filter, and there was oil pushed throughout the motor.

Bad news - Apparently the oil pump stopped working. I put a mechanical gauge on the motor and got no reading.

I called SHM and spoke to Scott about what might have happened. It seems the pressure release valve may be defective. After all the negative stuff I've heard about SHM support, my dealings have been unbelievable, certainly the best support I've ever received. I would also like to thank Keith at FOMPKE - he has been really awesome with his support too. Hey Tim (aka Cobra Killer) thanks man, that timing stuff was great.

So I'm in the process of pulling the oil pump tonight. I'll put another one in tomorrow when I can get to the dealer and pick it up. Hopefully the car will be running late tomorrow afternoon.

Back to work.

Tom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts