Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to norwalk wed night for some testing. DA was 1903 feet. Changes for '09 to the ol' NA 306 consist of:

Motor was freshened, touched up valve job, different rings (napier hook)
Compression bumped from 10.75:1 to 11.0:1 (milled heads to 48cc from 50cc)
Coated piston tops/skirts
Advanced cam 1* from previous
Added crank scraper
Removed holley sm2 and reinstalled factory cobra intake
Left in the .430s (never have run this gear with the cobra intake)
Now running forced open loop. (tweecer)

Previous best with cobra intake was 11.35 @117.77 with a 1.52 sixty foot. New best is 11.19 @117.81 with a 1.49 sixty foot. There's a few more wednesday's left, so hopefuly I can get into some more good air.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"Why did you reinstall the cobra? I wonder what your new best would be with the Holley after the freshen up.'

I like the factory look. To me, the holley is unattractive. lol Seriously though, my goal has always been to get in the 10s with the cobra. I've been working at it for years and still have a long way to go. I may have to break down and take some weight out of it. As far as putting the holley back on the fresh motor, it will happen eventually.

"that's sick"

Thanks man! :salute:

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
That's sweet man! How much did it pick up in the eighth as far as mph? Love to see those small mills run well!!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Nice times. The stock cobra intake works really good with the small motors. I've been a 10.96 with it and getting ready to go faster. Congrats!

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"That's sweet man! How much did it pick up in the eighth as far as mph? Love to see those small mills run well!!"

Thanks Joe! It seems I've been following your progress with the car almost as long as I've had mine. lol Previous best mph in the eighth was 94.74 and the new best is 95.86

"What heads are you running on the car, thats an awesome time for an N/A 306. Hope mine picks up well after the rebuild."

The heads are afr 165s.

"Nice times. The stock cobra intake works really good with the small motors. I've been a 10.96 with it and getting ready to go faster. Congrats!"

Thanks Tommy! Like Joe's freakshow, I've followed your car for a long time in the nmra. Very impressive. How much did it weigh with driver on the 10.96 pass? Do you have any weight restrictions for your class? Mark

·
Registered
612 Posts
Thanks Tommy! Like Joe's freakshow, I've followed your car for a long time in the nmra. Very impressive. How much did it weigh with driver on the 10.96 pass? Do you have any weight restrictions for your class? Mark
My car was 2965lbs on that pass. It was at MIR's Import vs Domestic race. I have to weight 3000lbs now with the E7's. I've been an 11.102 this season @ 3015lbs. Hopefully I can crack the 10's in Bowling green in a few weeks but we'll see.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Thanks Joe! It seems I've been following your progress with the car almost as long as I've had mine. lol Previous best mph in the eighth was 94.74 and the new best is 95.86
Mark, Did you move the shift points around much with the Cobra vs. the SMII? The SMII is one hell of an intake. We did an intake comparison test on the dyno a while back and the Holley came out on top as far as avg. power production.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
My car was 2965lbs on that pass. It was at MIR's Import vs Domestic race. I have to weight 3000lbs now with the E7's. I've been an 11.102 this season @ 3015lbs. Hopefully I can crack the 10's in Bowling green in a few weeks but we'll see.
Congrats on another successful season. Any plans to campaign the car in another heads up class?

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"Mark, Did you move the shift points around much with the Cobra vs. the SMII? The SMII is one hell of an intake. We did an intake comparison test on the dyno a while back and the Holley came out on top as far as avg. power production."

Joe, If you saw my log book you'd laugh. (I may have obcessive compulsive shiftpoint disorder lol) The cobra works best on my engine at 6200 for all the shift points. Any more/less and it slows. The holley is a little finicky. It seemed to work best at 6600 until I accidentally short shifted on the 1-2. It picked up. My best result with the holley came with the 1-2 at 6400 and the 2-3 at 6600. What rpm range did the holley come out on top in your testing and what intake did you test it against?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Congrats on another successful season. Any plans to campaign the car in another heads up class?
I would love to move up classes but the money isn't there. If I race again next season I will need some help and it will be in F/S again. I will try to go 4 for 4 if I do.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Tommy you must have some seriously light stuff in that rotating assembly to run those times with some E7s.
You would be surprised. I don't have any billet in my engine. Stock crank with some work, some I beams and a nice set of pistons. Rich knows how to build them and I know how to drive them ;)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"what was your 1/8 mile et?'

Not sure if you're asking myself or Tommy, but my et in the 1/8 was 7.05

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
mgerman93;9186291Joe said:
Dyno runs were conducted between 3,300 - 6,800 rpm. A battery of intakes were pitted against each other including the TFS Track Heat, TFS R-Series long runner, and lastly the TFS R-Series box utilizing both 75mm and 90mm throttle bodies. With my combination the Holley was the clear victor. This comparison was conducted on the same dyno and within the same day. Variables within control were kept in check to help the results from being skewed.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
When I went 10's I ran 6.95 @ 98mph to the 1/8th. In NMRA competition I've been 7.02 @ 97+
When your ran 10's was that just a product of weight reduction or were other peripherals manipulated, (e.g., exhaust, etc.)?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts