Ford Mustang Forums banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,966 Posts
Once you start thinking about an adapter plate, then you have to consider how is that going to affect the mounting height of the S/C? If it raises the S/C, now you have to reconfigure the mount for the S/C snout to make it work. Also what impact does that have on the inlet side? A lot of things to consider. Are you going to open up the original K/B outlet where it has the 8 round ports that are meant to match a Cobra/GT40 lower, so that there is no restriction going into the rectangle ports of the TFS R lower? And once you start down that road, where do you stop? I mean, if you are going to go that far, why no go farther?

·
Registered
'87 Cougah 428W - Cougar7.0 ⚡⚡
4,931 Posts
That comes back to the Explorer GT40 intakes. It's posted many times that the lower intake of those is not an exact match to the Cobra intakes the KB kits were made for. The ports being forward or rearward more, moves the belt the same.

Someone should have made an adapter plate to mount the KB plenum onto a different lower than the GT40's. I'd choose the TFS R lower, it's the shortest with very large ports, much better than the GT40.
I had a Systemax 1 lower on my KB 2L. That thing had huge ports for a stock-configuration lower. I had Tmoss flow it, but I can't recall the numbers. They were good, but not phenomenal IIRC, still lacking on the long dogleg runners. Still made good power with a Flowzilla and H2O/meth. Anyway, that lower was offset by less than 0.1", though I forget how I dealt with it. Probably 10-15 year old posts here somewhere discussing it.

·
Premium Member
2,966 Posts
I had a GT40 lower that was offset .150 to the rear compared to the Cobra lower. I used a hardened .150 washer to space the S/C pulley back out to where it was in alignment. I may have also gotten a longer 10mm Allen bolt that holds the pulley to the snout.
I initially thought there was something wrong with the kit, and sent it back to Kenne Bell. They mocked everything up and they said it aligned perfectly. Turns out the only difference was I was using the GT40 Lower and they were using the Cobra Lower. Or maybe it was the other way around. That was back in 1995 or 96'

·
Registered
'87 Cougah 428W - Cougar7.0 ⚡⚡
4,931 Posts
I just realized what I did, I bought a special length pulley spacer - I think from Kenne Bell?

Reactions: Quik5oh

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
These are good things to toss around, to work our way to a best end goal. The KB welded/opened/partitioned outlet plenum was smart thinking to get an A2A IC into the system. That was a new idea that came out here, when I was working with another truck owner(Ranger), to make his KB system better. He was aiming at an IC over the stock GT40 lower, and making headers, plus considering a 351W. His family grew by three in a couple of years, and things moved on.

Like Bubba would do, ponder endlessly, we didn't get anywhere further, and along came better technology and more ideas, better cars etc. Now KB is making their own units now, and they left the SBF behind.

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Jumping in.... may grab one of these. The nostalgia factor is sooooooo tempting!

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Getting close, probably doing the swap this weekend. Been busy with a lot of projects and my daughter graduates from USAFA in a month. View attachment 1072243 View attachment 1072244
Looks like it's coming along nicely. Are you using an Explorer lower or a real GT-40/COBRA lower? Also, is that a 3/8" phenolic spacer that you have between the lower and the KB?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Looks like it's coming along nicely. Are you using an Explorer lower or a real GT-40/COBRA lower? Also, is that a 3/8" phenolic spacer that you have between the lower and the KB?
I went out and found a real GT-40 F4 casting to eliminate the alignment issue. I sent it out to Big Dogs and had it ported. It was already ported and blown through on the runners. The porter had epoxied the holes back so the Big Dogs went ahead and blasted out all that material, max ported it and welded it back. Turned out really well and flows 335. I'm still messing with the Holley and just got the new motor broken in. Its pretty rowdy as is right now even with the suck Holley Term X on it. I'm switching over to a Dual Sync, making sure that runs ok then smack it with the KB.

Oh, and the Anderson Big Tubes did not work with the AOD. The right side collector was pointing right at the starter.

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
I went out and found a real GT-40 F4 casting to eliminate the alignment issue. I sent it out to Big Dogs and had it ported. It was already ported and blown through on the runners. The porter had epoxied the holes back so the Big Dogs went ahead and blasted out all that material, max ported it and welded it back. Turned out really well and flows 335. I'm still messing with the Holley and just got the new motor broken in. Its pretty rowdy as is right now even with the suck Holley Term X on it. I'm switching over to a Dual Sync, making sure that runs ok then smack it with the KB.

Oh, and the Anderson Big Tubes did not work with the AOD. The right side collector was pointing right at the starter.
Ah, nice, glad you were able to find an F4, have been keeping my eyes open for original COBRA intakes, they aren't all that easy to come by these days. The F4 is the 94-95 COBRA version of the F3 1993 COBRA lower, correct? Do you know if an F3 will also work?

Wow, 335! Will look forward to hearing your feedback once you have the KB on your setup. I have a KB from TPS Motorsports sitting in the "cart" and I'll probably pull the trigger on it as I've always wanted to try one of those blowers on a Windsor. The nostalgic coolness factor is certainly up there! :)

What did you end up going with for headers? Did you try another brand big tube shorty?

Thanks for the feedback and information - very helpful.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Ah, nice, glad you were able to find an F4, have been keeping my eyes open for original COBRA intakes, they aren't all that easy to come by these days. The F4 is the 94-95 COBRA version of the F3 1993 COBRA lower, correct? Do you know if an F3 will also work?

Wow, 335! Will look forward to hearing your feedback once you have the KB on your setup. I have a KB from TPS Motorsports sitting in the "cart" and I'll probably pull the trigger on it as I've always wanted to try one of those blowers on a Windsor. The nostalgic coolness factor is certainly up there! :)

What did you end up going with for headers? Did you try another brand big tube shorty?

Thanks for the feedback and information - very helpful.
The F3, F2 and some 87TE will work. I have a Tmoss ported 87TE on the original motor and it measured the same as the F4 actually. I reused my JBA headers. They are good headers just don't like the bolt instead of stud configuration for the midpipe, and one of the flange bolts is difficult to get in. The Anderson big tubes were actually easier to install. I got mine from TPS, waited a long time for it. Mike said KB agreed to make 40 for him and at the time of my delivery he had only sold 25 but that was a couple years ago.

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
The F3, F2 and some 87TE will work. I have a Tmoss ported 87TE on the original motor and it measured the same as the F4 actually. I reused my JBA headers. They are good headers just don't like the bolt instead of stud configuration for the midpipe, and one of the flange bolts is difficult to get in. The Anderson big tubes were actually easier to install. I got mine from TPS, waited a long time for it. Mike said KB agreed to make 40 for him and at the time of my delivery he had only sold 25 but that was a couple years ago.
Hmmmmm, maybe I could take the Tmoss ported 87TE off your hands if it aligns correctly with the KB and could be available? :) Agree, my experience with JBA headers has been consistent and they are a great product.

I spoke with Mike from TPS today and they sold all 40 of the first batch pretty quickly he said and they are now making another run (50 or so and have a good chunk already sold) and expect to be shipping them out in 5 months or so. He thinks all will be sold within the next couple of months or at least by the time he starts shipping them.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hmmmmm, maybe I could take the Tmoss ported 87TE off your hands if it aligns correctly with the KB and could be available? :) Agree, my experience with JBA headers has been consistent and they are a great product.

I spoke with Mike from TPS today and they sold all 40 of the first batch pretty quickly he said and they are now making another run (50 or so and have a good chunk already sold) and expect to be shipping them out in 5 months or so. He thinks all will be sold within the next couple of months or at least by the time he starts shipping them.
Yeah, except I'm in acquisitions not sales. That intake is sitting on a 30k mile stock 93 short block with Thumper, yes i said Thumper, ported Gt-40's. Kinda nostalgic if you're into that, and I am. I also have a Tmoss ported stock upper and lower that have never been bolted on anything. My "break in" upper intake is a ported Downs Box, soooooo.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Will any of the kit parts be available separately, has this been addressesd again? I have a NOS 2.2 KB I might let go for the right price, it has no snout, just a pulley. I'm aiming for an upgrade and different layout of the intake path.

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Yeah, except I'm in acquisitions not sales. That intake is sitting on a 30k mile stock 93 short block with Thumper, yes i said Thumper, ported Gt-40's. Kinda nostalgic if you're into that, and I am. I also have a Tmoss ported stock upper and lower that have never been bolted on anything. My "break in" upper intake is a ported Downs Box, soooooo.
I know EXACTLY where you are at and completely understand. I don't sell much either and have Ford Motorsport items from the 90s. I had a set of PowerHeads (E7TEs) for a while... now they are great nostalgia pieces, especially because they made great power for street cars. I have a M-6009-B50 shortblock (FMS at one point called it the "COBRA" shortblock when they came with the COBRA cam) from 1995, then they later came with an Explorer cam I believe and became just a production 5.0 replacement shortblock. I paid $1,295 for it, what a deal back in the day! The Downs Ford upper plenum/box is a cool piece, I saw one at a big show that I went to this past weekend, I also saw a Comp Cams box and a Hartman!

·
Indo-Canuck-Yankee
2,747 Posts
Buildup looks fantastic! You won't be disappointed with the performance, I'm sure... but ensure you've got a good tune on there. How do you intend to tune it?

61 - 76 of 76 Posts