Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed the back up camera. I have a Kenwood GPS head unit and I'm looking to find the circuit for the reverse back up switch so the camera automatically activates when I put the car in reverse. I have a base model 2013 GT...I'm not sure if a camera was an option

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
Can't you grab a back up light line to the rear? I would think the camera tells you how to use back up lights.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 12v which powers the camera comes from the backup light circuit. I am looking for the same circuit under the dash to tell the head unit to auto switch from GPS, Bluetooth, Phone, etc to the camera when the car is in reverse.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
The 12v which powers the camera comes from the backup light circuit. I am looking for the same circuit under the dash to tell the head unit to auto switch from GPS, Bluetooth, Phone, etc to the camera when the car is in reverse.
I'm not sure how new cars are wired, but there is some chance they derive back up light controls from a ECU driven control. This is likely because the transmission is electronically controlled, and the processor knows when reverse is selected.

Unless you find someone who has done this, or you pour over schematics of the car wiring, or unless you can easily find a port under the dash, you might be far better off to pull a small fused (at the light end) wire from the BU light feed up to the radio. It could be a #20 or #22 wire, it does not have to be large, but it should be fused.

Otherwise you will have to dig for an answer.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IF the camera is a factory option in 2013...I'm hoping it is part of the wiring harness

Needless to say I'm Keeping fingers crossed and grabbing my shovel

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
It was but, the harnesses don't contain stuff that's not selected as an option. I have the same thing with my '14. I wish it was P&P but it isn't.

Reactions: TomR
1 - 6 of 6 Posts