Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to Etown Raceway in NJ for the first time tomorrow and I need some tips from you veterans. I have an 01GT 5-speed that is all stock except for Flows. I also need to know from anyone still with the stock gears, do you cross the line in 3rd or 4th gear. And will dropping the air pressure alittle in the stock goodyears help at all. Any other tips welcome also. thanks

·
Registered
556 Posts
Cross in 3rd. Leave at 30psi, seems to work best for me.

Jeff

·
Registered
16 Posts
I found that at the traps I am very close to shifting to 4th. I have tried both ways...making that shift and sticking it out in 3rd. I do agree with nomore4bangers and say you should cross in 3rd with stock gears. I havent messed around to much with tire pressure, but next time I know I will, thats unless I go for the drag radials. I also found it difficult to pull the rpms up much past idle on the hole shot without breaking lose. I know thats where I am losing some time (60 ft time is the name of the game). The best ET I got with my mods was 13.7 (actually done by a friend) @ 101mph. My best was a 13.8.

As far a track edicate (I am sure I spelled that wrong) I would learn by watching and asking your fellow racers and staff at the track. Many tracks are strick on certain things (where you can do mods to your car, what safety equipment you need at certain times, etc). May already be aware of this already. You get the idea of the basics after doing a few runs. Most people will tell you that racing is a trial and error type of thing. You'll find that changing shift points, tire pressure, etc will net diffrent ets. Its a blast! I think you'll find it to be also. Have fun and do it safe!! Good Luck

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replys

1 - 4 of 4 Posts