Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i didn't get a steeda bolt, but how do i get the new pulley on there. I aligned the keyway, put some silicone on there, but without having anything touching the pulley(bolt) how can i get it on there, Mallet?

·
Registered
200 Posts
You could try boiling the crank pulley for about 10 minutes, and lube the crankshaft with some brake grease. That may make it a little easier. Careful not to strip those threads!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Use a rubber mallet and be careful not to hit the radiator. Also beat it on in a even manner don't just beat it from one side. This is if you have to have them on this very minute. Other wise I would say find out what size bolt you need and use it that way.

Brandon

·
Registered
722 Posts
I usually take a socket that fits the pulley bevel and hit that with a hammer. It will distribute the force evenly and keep any chance of putting it on uneven. You can use a mallet but a hammer is better because of the force you have to hit it.R.

·
Registered
866 Posts
99svt32v said:
i didn't get a steeda bolt, but how do i get the new pulley on there. I aligned the keyway, put some silicone on there, but without having anything touching the pulley(bolt) how can i get it on there, Mallet?
It sounds like a bad idea to bang on it as it seems likely the impact could be transmitted to the crankshaft main bearings, or could knock something out of true. If I were you I'd play it safe and get the extended "starter" bolt and do it "right". Why take chances? There's usually a reason the instructions say to do it that way, and not some other way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts