·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Any hope?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Always is hope if you have the $$$.But I can only see one being made custom to fit around the intake tubes.Stan

·
Registered
574 Posts
For some reason, I still can't post attachments but I am looking at my MM one and both the front and rear tubes on the passenger side look like they'd interfer with that intake tube.

I'm sure a custom one can be fabbed up or an existing design can be modified to work but I don't think I've ever seen one pre-made that would work with that intake setup.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have a Steeda bar that clears the discharge tube, but like MJ91GT said, looks like yours would interfere with some of the bars. Here's a pic for some reference.

·
Registered
309 Posts
If you have the skills you could customize your existing one to fit or take it to someone who can do it for you. Looks like your's will need to be fab'ed up from the pic. I had to do it to mine.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well, I scored a FMS one for fitting. Its about 1-1/4 away from being able to rest on the passenger side. Even if I fabricate the bar to go up and around, I'm not sure if it'll clear the hood. I'm thinking about finding a 45* bend to maybe angle it down.

I have Vert Motor mounts which lower the engine which is nice... However I'm not to sure how much longer they'll be in for.

Hotmustang: can you post pics?

I wonder if I can go under the discharge pipe?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Well, I scored a FMS one for fitting. Its about 1-1/4 away from being able to rest on the passenger side. Even if I fabricate the bar to go up and around, I'm not sure if it'll clear the hood. I'm thinking about finding a 45* bend to maybe angle it down.

I have Vert Motor mounts which lower the engine which is nice... However I'm not to sure how much longer they'll be in for.

Hotmustang: can you post pics?

I wonder if I can go under the discharge pipe?
You should be able to figure out if it'd clear the hood going over the pipe.

Measure the tubing outside diameter from your stb and roll a piece of paper to the same outside diameter. Make the paper tube long enough to simulate the modified piece or pieces (rearward running bar and/or cross bar) that would need to go over the pipe, including two seperate paper tubes on the ends that are cut and angled to simulate the angled tube that would need to come up from the stb.

Shim the paper tubing up with some pieces of cardboard or something to simulate necessary clearance for engine movement and tape the whole thing together and to the pipe, close the hood and see if you crush the paper.

It's hard to tell, but from the looks of your hood, it may fit going over the pipe, I can't imagine a way you could make it work going under the pipe.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll be dinking around with it on Sunday. I'll let you guys know. Thanks for the help/pointers.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Given the bends/angles required to clear your induction set up, why bother?

Seriously, it is hard enough to quantify any benefit to the best designed aftermarket STB's...ones that are well triangulated with the straightest possible sections.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tried, it tells me I'm too new to post pics.
madevilmustang (at) hotmail(dot)com

E-mail em please.

Tiger, Foxes are like tin cans. even a piece of spagetty between the 2 strut towers is better than nothing.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I know a little about the torsional rigidity of the Fox unibody, having built a couple of Fox cars. I've also seen Fox cars where the doors won't shut correctly, because of tweaking from track use with insufficient bracing. No doubt, they're noodles, in some areas more than others.

It is hard to find any real data that shows that the specific bracing we're talking about (STB) has much benefit, even when designed correctly. "Correctly" seems to indicate straightest possible tubing, substantial tie in to not only the towers, but also the firewall, and minimal angles directing energy into torquing the tubing of the STB. The most credible source I've seen share actual data on this topic happens to be on this forum (at least he was when I used to lurk here) and, I believe, feels that the biggest potential benefit is actually under braking. But, I don't know that anyone has been able to measure any inward/outward deflection of the towers, which is all a two point could possibly help. The idea that just sticking some tubing between the strut towers will "do something" doesn't seem to be true. The type of bar angles/bends that your induction set up will require make it hard for me to imagine any design that will result in any benefit, but I could be wrong.

There's a long thread over on Corner Carvers that gives some tech (not enough, unfortunately) on the topic and also some raw data from Ford floating around somewhere. I guess, even if there's no actual benefit, with all your horsepower the extra weight (even though it is exactly where you don't want it) shouldn't hurt your lap times :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Here's one of mine but I don't think it'll help much but at least you can get an idea. My opinion is if it turns out to be a pain in the ass to do just leave it.

Before

After

·
Registered
336 Posts
Is this really necessary or just some myth? My hood has a pretty close fit between the fenders and shows zero sign signs of any binding on the edges after some extreme back and forth cornering without any cross bracing. Are you just adding more high weight to the front end of this body style exactly where you don't want it?

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Are you just adding more high weight to the front end of this body style exactly where you don't want it?
Pretty much. I still keep mine because there's a noticeable reduction in cowl shake that makes the car more enjoyable to drive. It does not, however, appear to reduce lap times in the least.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pretty much. I still keep mine because there's a noticeable reduction in cowl shake that makes the car more enjoyable to drive. It does not, however, appear to reduce lap times in the least.
So in your humble opinion should I just not worry about it?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have driven my car right before and after installing my strut tower brace and it is very noticeable. I doubt it drops lap times, but the feel of the car is better.

Is it different enough to go through the hassle of having a custom one made, not really sure.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alright. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts