Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car has 140,000 and I track it a lot so I think I am going to change the front hubs before something happens. I want the best/strongest available in a stock replacement. What does everyone suggest and what size in the spindle nut and torque spec?

·
Super Moderator
27,651 Posts
Koyo brand are about the best you'll get, available at any parts store. I like to take them apart and re-grease them with high performance grease like Redline. Spindle nut is 35mm, torque spec is something like 250 lbs. You're not technically supposed to re-use the nut, but everybody does. On a side note, it blows my mind you haven't had to replace yours yet. I'd almost be inclined to just buy a new one as a spare and wait til yours actually start to go, they'll give you fair warning when they do.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Koyo brand are about the best you'll get, available at any parts store. I like to take them apart and re-grease them with high performance grease like Redline. Spindle nut is 35mm, torque spec is something like 250 lbs. You're not technically supposed to re-use the nut, but everybody does. On a side note, it blows my mind you haven't had to replace yours yet. I'd almost be inclined to just buy a new one as a spare and wait til yours actually start to go, they'll give you fair warning when they do.[/QUO

As of right now they are smooth and tight. I just keep thinking that they can't last too much longer. I am just afraid that one will come apart while on track. Maybe I'm paranoid because I had a wheel break a few months ago and before that a strut broke almost in half. If you think they will give me plenty of warning maybe I'll wait.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Buy a spare. I take a spare Koyo front hub pre-loaded with ARP extra long wheel studs. You will need a 250 ft-lb capable torque wrench and a 35mm socket. Getting the old one off will take an air gun or at least a breaker bar.

There are two types of spindle nuts. The Dorman nut is a few bucks with a crush sleeve. I prefer the Motorcraft nut which is made up of a number of crush washers caged in a housing. Maybe 3X more than Dorman at $15 or so.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Koyo brand are about the best you'll get, available at any parts store. I like to take them apart and re-grease them with high performance grease like Redline. Spindle nut is 35mm, torque spec is something like 250 lbs. You're not technically supposed to re-use the nut, but everybody does. On a side note, it blows my mind you haven't had to replace yours yet. I'd almost be inclined to just buy a new one as a spare and wait til yours actually start to go, they'll give you fair warning when they do.
MFE. Are they easy to take apart or is it somewhat involved? Curious

·
Super Moderator
27,651 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts