Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my friend needs to replace his spark plugs and i just wanted to find some tips to help him out and make it easier for him/us since i will be helping.

what tools do you need?
how long will it take?
any special instructions?

thanks guys

btw, he has a stock 96 gt

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Plugs are easy. Once you do them a few times you'll get your time down to around twenty minutes. You'll need a 8" extension for the ratchet as well as a universal, standard spark plug socket Make sure to do the plugs when the car is cold. Use Anti Seize on the new plugs. The black rubber tube otherwise know as the intake tube has to come off for the passenger side plugs. I feel that the passenger plug closest to the firewall is the only plug that will be at a funny angle to take out. Otherwise the whole thing is real easy to do.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Start on the rear passenger side one first and get that out of the way. There is a weird black bracket that you might have to bend a little. Get a spark plug socket that has a rubber gripper in the top so you can lift the plugs out. Get AWSF22C plugs and gap them to .055. The rest is pretty east, not that bad at all.

·
Registered
906 Posts
LONG extension, a good swivel socket also for some of those plugs, ANTI-SEIZE is a must. First time took me 2 days LOL, second time took me 20 minutes.

·
Registered
493 Posts
If your friend has a '99+ GT, you may want to check for dirt/sand that gets trapped in the spark plug holes. Even with the rubber boot, crap manages to get in there. Lucky I have an air compressor to blow that crap out.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see that he has a 96 GT, you may want to check anyway.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Good point about the sand. You can use a shop vac also! Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts