Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2002 GT 4.6L. It has 60k original miles. I also have 5k to spend on performance mods. Help me spend it! I know there is a rabbit hole of bias so I am trying to compile to make the best decisions. This vehicle is stock. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Blower pushing about 10 PSI, fuel system upgrade, tune and suspension. Blower cams and valve springs if you can swing it. With stock intake, tb etc this should still put the car at around 400 - 440-ish rwhp. My 99 made 446 rwhp with this configuration on stock internals and never had any hickups. Just a little S-trim, Crane blower cams and air to water inner cooler. Its a lot of fun,.. a lot more fun than the stock 235 rwhp.

It was easy to get races,.. I would just say its a 2v 4.6. How fast could it be?

How ever if you like me,.. there is no such thing as too much HP. Manley pistons, Eagle rods and crank, S-Trim maxed out at 15 - 16 PSI,.. now makes 550 rwhp on boost. This too grew old after a while. Added a Nitrous Outlet plate kit. 1 gal fuel cell, spraying a progressive 125 shot. 707 rwhp. Its just a 4.6 2v,.. how fast could it be? Oh and FYI,.. stock tranny doesnt last long after the 400hp mark. After blowing 3rd gear in two T45's,.. I scored a deal on an upgraded TKO 500 with hardened 26 spline input shaft, 31 spline output. Upgraded to Cobra flywheel with 11inch Centerforce DFX clutch. Also,.. Went to 3.55 gears because I would run out of RPM with the 4.10's,.. plus 1st 2nd and 3rd gear became useless on the street. 3.55 made things more manageable. 1st and 2nd still useless with out pedaling,.. but so much fun.

This was first dyno with stock motor,.. Just cams and blower and aftermarket MAF because stock MAF pegged out. This was with just 10 PSI.

Really simple and easy to install. A little bit of belt slip at 10 PSI. Upgraded to 8 rib pulleys from F150 to make 15 PSI work. I would not recommend 15 PSI using stock 6 rib pulley. At 10 PSI I would shred the belt every 60 days or so. I still keep a spare belt in the trunk for just in case.

Took me about 7 yrs to get the car where it is today. I've had the car for 10 yrs. So unless you're made of money,.. it wont happen over night. Just keep putting money away for new things and learn to do as much as you can yourself.

Hurst

·
Registered
54 Posts
Some questions to help you figure it out:

1. Are you going to do the mods, or pay to have them done?
2. Will this be a Daily Driver, or a performance toy?
3. In what order would you put these: appearance, handling, acceleration, comfort, economy?

I hope you like your '02, nice car with endle$$ possibilites : )

·
Registered
687 Posts
I recently purchased a 2002 GT 4.6L. It has 60k original miles. I also have 5k to spend on performance mods. Help me spend it! I know there is a rabbit hole of bias so I am trying to compile to make the best decisions. This vehicle is stock. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Turbo kit with a tubular K member, front Maximum Motorsports coilovers, rear lower control arms, mufflers. You can save money by not buying headers and a midpipe lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts