Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car has a V3 installed and I am getting some major oil out of my baffled breather. I ordered a steeda oil separator kit that should be arriving today. I understand it is supposed to be installed between the pcv and intake. The will most likely not fix my issue.. Can I run the kit between the trick flow fill tube, pcv and intake?? Any suggestions would be great. I do love the smell of burning oil, but not that much lol...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Someones got to have an idea?! or tell me what they run to reduce oil spray out of your valve cover breathers~

·
Registered
379 Posts
I took my pcv out and plugged where it would connect to the upper intake manifold. I then drilled and tapped my oil fill cap and put a 90* fitting in that. I ran one line from the pcv port to one side of the can and a line from the new filler elbow to the other side of the can. Works perfectly fine for me

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes stock pcv with a baffled breather on valve cover. Also, running a steeda oil separator as well. Haven't driven it that long with the separator installed, but already have some oil in the canister (which I know is normal). Still getting oil out breather! Maybe it's just going to be that way :/

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
You will get some oil while cruising, and more under boost. It's virtually impossible to not get blowby when in boost. In fact, I use the amount of blowby as a gauge of ring seal. When my catch can collects more than normal after a pass, it usually is the first indicator of a misfire or light detonation - both of which cause the rings to flutter and therefore loss of ring seal (I just noted this last time out - the previous track trip, it was getting rough through the traps and I saw increased oil in the can and the dipstick was blowing out; I then checked the plug gaps which had opened up to .034 - so I put in new plugs gapped to .025 and it cleared right up).

I use a clear air/water separator for air lines I got from harbor freight - I like seeing the oil without having to take it apart. It's in line with the PCV from the back of the intake to just behind the TB. Here's an old pic:

I've since removed the sintered bronze filter, as it tends to get clogged. In your case, you will need a checkvalve because your blower is before the TB (mine is after) - otherwise, you'll pressurize the crank case with boost directly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts