Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know im a noob but i need your help guys. I know a guy selling a stage 1 HP 60mm kit for fox barely used for a good deal. This would be my first turbo, ive had 2 prochargers in almost 5 years. If i can sell my d1, i can afford this kit.First of all, i need oppinions on this kit, and im not worried about cutting the fender a little bit so thats not an issue. Ive got a 306 with victor jr heads, custom crane cam (544,522), holley systemax, and all supporting mods. Some people are telling me that the 60mm turbo that comes with the kit will be too small and wont support 500rwhp, but the site says 550-600 which is plenty for my stock block. Ive got a c4 with brake so i dont need a ton of power to go fast anyway. So do you think this turbo will be good for now? because i can just upgrade if i get bored.
Has anyone had problems with this kit? any input on anything to do with this kit would be greatly appreciated.
I believe im getting a killer deal on it

·
4,305 Posts
Most of the problems with those kits is just plain getting them from HP. Outside of that some people had fitment issues and some complained about quality of the craftsmanship. I'd think since it was on a car it would verify that it fits and quality of craftsmanship is very opinionated but you can form your own opinion upon inspection. If you get it just run the turbo and see if you like it, as you said you can always upgrade later.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks snipe. i havent seen it in person yet but a good friend of mine helped install it on the guys car who is selling it, and reported no fitting issues. he is only selling it because he put it on his bone stock motor and kept lifting head gaskets so its basically new, he had it on for maybe 2 months. so getting it from HP themsleves isnt an issue either haha

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
whats the price?

new b&g is like 2800, but you have to add exhaust. so is quicktime and ponydown.
I wouldn't go near a new Quicktime kit with all the problems people are having getting them.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
whats the price?

new b&g is like 2800, but you have to add exhaust. so is quicktime and ponydown.
kit is basically new and adding in a new in the box greddy spec v boost controller($400) and asking $3000 for all but i may talk him down a bit. but everything is included and the kit from the site is like $4500 without the boost controller so...

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Known couple of people had HP kits
They all liked the kit, all hated the wait and b.s. promises on delivery.

If you are getting used no problem

60mm turbo will support 500rwhp, but its at it limits.
500rwhp is all your block will support anyway

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i hope that i will like this size turbo for a starter turbo and that it wont just cause me problems if it were maxed out or something.
Any pics of installs and front bumper views would be appreciated as well.
Also, anybody have issues with temperature going from blower to turbo?

·
Registered
575 Posts
For sure the bad news with HP is the wait. The kit makes great power, go on their website and look at the customer cars section see what people have made with that kit. I have had the kit on the car for 5 years and about 30K miles. Here's some pics, if you get it PM me for some tips on start up.

This dyno sheet is with GT40 heads and Cobra intake not what you see in the photos that show what I have now , Hogan and Trick Flow, haven't dynoed with that setup yet.

·
4,305 Posts
well i hope that i will like this size turbo for a starter turbo and that it wont just cause me problems if it were maxed out or something.
Any pics of installs and front bumper views would be appreciated as well.
Also, anybody have issues with temperature going from blower to turbo?
One thing to make sure is that you get all the parts with the kit or it is priced accordingly if he is going to fail to give you everything. Those kits included a lot of parts, I believe electric fan, injectors, and so on.

·
Registered
336 Posts
don't under estimate this little 60mm. I have the hp kit also and have the 60mm. My car made 500rwhp and has gone as fast as [email protected] through a AOD and drag radials. Since you have a stock block this turbo will be fine. The 60mm spools up very quick and never stops pulling. Very good street turbo.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
don't under estimate this little 60mm. I have the hp kit also and have the 60mm. My car made 500rwhp and has gone as fast as [email protected] through a AOD and drag radials. Since you have a stock block this turbo will be fine. The 60mm spools up very quick and never stops pulling. Very good street turbo.
thats my big debate right now, whether or not to put on the 60mm or wait to save a couple hundred and get the upgrade. but can you tell me a little bit about your motor and fuel setup? that would help me compare some things. basically i just want to make sure ill make some decent power and be able to go high tens. if i can do that with this 60mm then thats good enough for me for now. plus i wanna be able to keep using stock computer and not dig too deep into a tune beyond the diablo chip i have. so what do you got under the hood?

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I liked my hp stage 1 kit made 545 on stock short block with a 60mm turbo. My kit fit great and I had it for over 3 years a it held up very well. That little 60mm turbo will make more power then your stock block and handle.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I liked my hp stage 1 kit made 545 on stock short block with a 60mm turbo. My kit fit great and I had it for over 3 years a it held up very well. That little 60mm turbo will make more power then your stock block and handle.
wow from what you guys are saying it seems like the 60mm works out well. i would probably start off at 10psi and see how it is, im running 42lb injectors do you think that will hold it for a while? how was your car tuned?

·
Registered
407 Posts
I'm wondering if my 67mm Precision is not over kill for the street?
Nope. I have the same size and mine is maxed out. I am looking to upgrade to a 76'er or bigger. The car makes 540rwhp through a TH400 non-lock up converter too.

SCstang88- No complaints about my HP kit. I'd post pics but trbofox's is identical to mine, his is just prettier. I have posted pics on a couple other threads of my junk.

·
Registered
336 Posts
thats my big debate right now, whether or not to put on the 60mm or wait to save a couple hundred and get the upgrade. but can you tell me a little bit about your motor and fuel setup? that would help me compare some things. basically i just want to make sure ill make some decent power and be able to go high tens. if i can do that with this 60mm then thats good enough for me for now. plus i wanna be able to keep using stock computer and not dig too deep into a tune beyond the diablo chip i have. so what do you got under the hood?
I'm running a stock block 306 with edelbrock performer 1.90 out of the box heads, rpm intake, custom cam (540 lift), SCT chip, FB AOD with a 3400 stall, 60 lbs inj and I'm running twin walbro 255lph fuel system. The car also weighs 3400 with me in it. For your goal the 60mm will be fine. when you have the money to get a better block than go with a 66mm or higher.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm running a stock block 306 with edelbrock performer 1.90 out of the box heads, rpm intake, custom cam (540 lift), SCT chip, FB AOD with a 3400 stall, 60 lbs inj and I'm running twin walbro 255lph fuel system. The car also weighs 3400 with me in it. For your goal the 60mm will be fine. when you have the money to get a better block than go with a 66mm or higher.
nice man. actually if you could pm me your exact fuel set up from front to back id really appreciate that also if its not too muc trouble :)

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I am listening...

I am listening to this...

I have a Pony Down Kit Stage 3....What I hear and what I see its almost just like the HP kits...

My Concern is I have a pretty decent Straight car No accidents and I don't want to cut the innerfender up to mount it....The Turbo goes straight down through the Passenger inner fender....see turbo fox picture here:

Is it the same on the HP kit mounting? any close up shots to see how much is cut?

however it seems like a great kit..good quality...I have Precission T76mm Turbo.

Here it is:

I have a sump tank, two holley 255 inline pumps with filters going to Aero Regulator and Rails..Thinking of 42lbs injectors also.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts