Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,
I need an opinion on something.

I just had my car dynoed with some simple tunning done. The shop I took it to wasn't very familiar with older mustangs (was known for imports). The dyno technician was honest enough to tell me that he really wasn't familiar with tunning an autologic chip (car came with this). I told him that was fine since I was planning to bring it somewhere else to have it comletely tuned. I just wanted a baseline run.
On the first pull he said that the fuel pres was low (below 40psi) and it was making it run lean so he adjused the fuel pressure rugualtor and fixed the issue (the run was only made halfway through). I actually told him that I just wanted to make the car run on the safe side. On the second run he brought it up to max power and he heard the engine "ping" (I am asuming it was detonating).
He told me that the best he could do was adjust the timing via distributor vs. computer since he couldn't tune via ecu. He made a couple more runs to make sure that everything was ok. He told me that he back the timing off by 4 deg (again adjustments were made to the distributor instead of ECU).
Right now the car runs fine except for on idle. RPM would bounce between 500rpm and 1000rpm, It never use to do that. I am assuming that this is because he adjusted the base timing. Right?
Would this be safe to drive around? The car isn't running lean at all ( I have a wideband in the car) and I never really "boost" it. I am also running 50/50 race and 93 octane fuel.
I can bolt stuff on and take stuff apart but when it comes to the mechanics I am dumb as a rock.

Thanks for any opinions!

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
correct me if I am wrong. If you adjust the fuel pressure this will throw everything off? I have read somewhere that this method is the incorrect way for making adjustments.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Couple things IF it was running good enough and idling great and you knew you were NOT gonna boost it, why waste the time going to a dyno until you go to have it tuned. Second if your NOT boosting it, why waste the money on anything other than pump? Seems to me you know you will be falling to the temptation(and have allready possibly), do the right thing, park it until its time to get it tuned. Few and far between can drive a boosted car and never get on it until the tune is completly done if it may be a few weeks/month away.
Concur with the others, take it to a shop that specializes in mustangs

·
Registered
61 Posts
I agree.

I have had my car for about 3 weeks now and next week it goes in for a tune finally. I have been driving it on 114 because that is what it is currently tuned for but now it is gone and I cant get more in my home town. I have been driving it on 92 to make sure I burned out all of the 114 before the tune and it really sucks to not be able to get on it. Especially when the jackass in the civic pulls up next to me.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Guys!

I guess I am just going to park the car for now until I find a knowledgable tuner inmy area.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I think thats easier said than done! Come on, we wait weeks to get the kit in just to wait more to have it tuned! With that said I,m going to put a chasity belt on my car door ,so I dont drive mine till tuned.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts