Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some input from the all-knowing-corral members on purchasing another fox. I got rid of mine when was getting married to pay off the wedding... now I'm thinking about getting into it again.

So I found this fox that looks absolutely stunning! Based on the pictures and from what i've been told by the owner (not original owner) it's a great car. He doesn't seem to know a whole lot about it, but what i could gather, it's been put together nicely.

Here is the kicker... the car is actually 1979 Capri... based on the vin number. Now, you can see my skepticism here. The only vin number is the one under the windshield in the corner... no others on the car. Obviously, my first thought is... whoever did this, probably did it because of paperwork. I don't see any other reason.

I mean, why would you build all this on a 79 Capri, when you can just find a cheap 90's fox and do it... right?

Now, to the actual question... I really like the way it looks, even though i haven't seen it. Is it worth 9500? Would anyone buy it or would you stay away from it? Let's hear it.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
EDIT: I see no fender flares on the rear, so if that thing's VIN says '79 Capri, something ain't jiving...

Maybe whoever built it had a good, straight '79 Capri shell?

I wouldn't worry about the year or the lack of VIN on other parts, as long as the title and the VIN on the dash match, and it's not been wrecked, or if it did have bodywork, then the work was done properly...

I've got an '84 that's straight and except for battery tray rust, needed no body work at all. Well, it's not gonna fly at pebble beach, but around here, it's pretty damned nice.

Point is, if the title is clean, and it's well built, and it makes your heart race, don't sweat the year. A lot of older cars may have fenders and doors from other year cars, and time you throw a repaint on the new parts, usually the old decals with VINs will get painted over or removed outright. Check for prior wreckage, if none, and you want it....well, go for it, I say. :laugh:

·
Super Moderator
27,649 Posts
It's easier to swap a VIN tag onto an '87-93 than it is to swap all the 87-93 stuff onto a '79 ;D

Makes me wonder what its background really is.

·
Corral Charter Member
11,141 Posts
You want the real VIN?

You can do 1 of two things:

1) Ask owner to unbolt the driver side fender and look for the metal "winglet" that was normally secured to the inner fender top rail. That piece of metal will be down towards the rad support and was secured by spot welds. It will have the actual body VIN number. The same winglet should exist on the passenger side as well.

2) If the owner won't unbolt a fender - see if there are front wheel well liners - if they are missing you should be able to see the winglets at top of inner fender rails. See if you can determine the VIN stamping looking up at the winglet (if stamping was hard enough to make indentations in the metal). If you can't determine VIN from viewing from bottom, reach up and bend the metal down to see it.

Here's why the owner's story is not jiving:

As others have said ALL Mercury Capris of the "fox era" had rear 1/4 panel flares - these were part of the sheet metal stampings NOT add-ons. If a Capri is missing them on 1/4s, it's NOT a Capri at all. And it would make no sense financially for someone to take a Capri and do EXTENSIVE 1/4 panel mods (or remove 1/4's and reinstall Mustang 1/4's).

Ask owner to pull off interior rear taillight panel plastic. This is the other way to tell a 1979-1982 Fox Mustang or Capri from 1983-1993 - the tail light panel sheet metal was completely different from 79-82 due to the actual taillight assembly design. In order to install 1983-1993 taillight assemblies on a 79-82, you would have to cut up the rear taillight panel in order to mount and get wiring harness through to the 83-93 taillamps. No way around the cutting of the sheet metal.

So if that taillight panel is not chopped up - it's definitely NOT a 79-82 body shell.

If owner is unwilling to go extra mile to prove body shell liniage / walk on the deal. You can find Fox Mustangs with similar mods that have not been tampered with for the same price...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys... I'll ask the owner... The guy keeps saying constantly how he's short on time and what not. He does answer all my questions, but I don't think he's very knowledgeable out the car itself. Chances of him actually unbolting the fender or any of this stuff is very slim... but i'll ask.

The vin number I got and the picture of the title, does show 1979 Capri... however, I can't run the Carfax on it at all as it's too old. So I can't see if it's clean or not.

I really like the way the car looks and the mods it has. It seems like it's been tastefully done. It's just that the whole 79/93 thing bug me a little. Is it worth 9500... I have no idea.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was watching some videos that the seller sent... the rear quarter panels definitely look different than the GT mustangs I've seen around.

Here are screenshots. The one that has a play button is the "79 Capri" and the others with arrow on are what I saw online... it's different for sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh and here's a 1979 capri... according to google and the quarter panels definitely look like the orange one.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Fwiw, the rear fenders are also different than an '86.
I was there when my best friend custom ordered the Stang, and I drove him to the dealership to pick up the Stang.
My best friend had the car only serviced at the dealership and kept every receipt. Plus, I knew every problem he had with the car even without the receipts. :) I bought the Stang from him in '96.
So, I can vouch for the 85/86 cars. :)

Sorry, I don't have a fulgly aero car. ;) ;)

Fwiw, four-eye to two-eye conversions are strongly frowned apon in the four-eye community. Just letting you know in case you ever need non 87-93 help.

'86 Stang:

Ford factory hood, fender, and front-clip fit at it's finest. ;)

I'll add that finding and fixing "engine issues" (like a skip, miss, etc) can be a massive PITA with a supercharger setup.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Fwiw, from what I saw, the car looks like it started life as a Capri RS or Capri RS Turbo. They had different rear fenders.

IF you a very strong skin and are willing to NOT be an *ss about having a conversion, then you could ask at Four Eyed Pride. That's where you'll find the real pre-87 Capri experts.
Write just what you did in your original post. You can also link back to this thread.

Fwiw, I haven't been active on four eyed pride in ~7+ years. I've barely had time to read a couple of Corral threads a week. :p

fifteen52: Project ST | History Lessons: #16 ? 1979 Mustang and Capri Turbo

https://www.flickr.com/photos/andrew-turnbull/7106535051

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_Capri

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_Capri#Gallery

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:'79-'82_Mercury_Capri.jpg

20526570008_large

I need some input from the all-knowing-corral members on purchasing another fox.

Fwiw, :D
Is the seller a "licensed Missouri wildlife breeder"?

Q. Is it legal to keep a fox ... in Missouri?

A. It depends on the species of fox and where it is obtained. The Wildlife Code of Missouri contains regulations primarily for wildlife native to Missouri, which includes red fox, gray fox, and variants of those species, such as the silver fox. It is not legal to bring a live red, gray, or silver fox into Missouri. They may only be purchased from a licensed Missouri wildlife breeder and cannot be taken from the wild to hold in captivity. An annual permit is required to obtain a native fox and requirements for holding the animal in captivity must be met prior to being issued the permit. They are not allowed to run free like a pet. Nonnative species, such as arctic fox, are not regulated by this department. Other state and federal agencies have regulations regarding nonnative foxes. Depending on where you live, there May also be county or municipal restrictions on keeping a fox as a pet.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no... I don't think I need any more flaming. I like the car the way it looks and what's done to it.. my worry was that maybe the papers were faked or something... but it looks like it was capri at some point.. which is okay with me.

I guess, based on what it has and what it was... could 9500 justify it. I've looked nation wide on craiglist and forums for a nicely modded fox for under 10k and most of them seem like they need a lot of work and what not.

the ones that are really nice are just too far from me. :(

·
Corral Charter Member
11,141 Posts
With the better pics you provided - yes it would be a Capri - can really see the rear 1/4 panel flare outs in the one pic of the car.

Looks to be genuine Capri.

Disregard my prior post to you - good luck with purchase if you go for it.

Be sure to check front frame rails below strut towers for rot/rust.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
It you really like it, who cares. My car was a love it or hate it car and do won't the next one. You've done your research on what your price point gets you. You're the only one who can answer if it's worth it. Personally, I think the car looks great and I think people get way too wrapped up in whether a car is "original " or not. Imho that only matters with collected cars and not enthusiasts /drivers. Nine times out of ten those that have to ask if a certain mustang is a "real" cobra almost certainly wouldn't know the difference. Build/buy your car for you and nobody else.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys! Out of curiosity, is there a way to check the history of the 1979 Capri and such? Both autocheck and car fax said its not a valid vin because it's too short.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
IF you a very strong skin and are willing to NOT be an *ss about having a conversion, then you could ask at Four Eyed Pride.

Yeah, I'm fairly able to deal with ########, but when i mentioned on FEP that on my '84 I wanted to put an '85 GT nose onto my '84 notch, I got flamed pretty hard. #### that noise. I've not been back to that ####hole since. Bunch of arrogant ######, insinuating an outright ban over something that I feel makes MY car look better..?

I've got paint drying that is more worth my time to watch than deal with their petty bull####. LOL

OP, if the owner is incapable of providing you with the full VIN, run, NOT walk the hell away and keep looking.

It's either NOT a '79 Capri or someone spent some time hacking on
the tail light panel as mentioned....or it was wrecked and part from another car were cut off and welded in.

Scares the hell outta me, and that takes some doing.

Almost 10K for a car that may have been wrecked, has the seller saying what he says, and possibly altered VIN??

Hell, NO.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts