Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 95 mustang gt and I'm currently in the middle of my powerdyne bd11a install. My question is that I have an msd digital 6al installed and also have a vortech ignition boost control box that came with the blower, how do I wire the vortech box, I've searched for hours and can't find anything except for a fox body install but that is not the same. Any help is much appreciated as I am at a stand still with this

·
Registered
102 Posts
Do you plan on having the car tuned after the install? If so, I wouldn't even bother with the box unless you're using a basic fmu setup. I have the same box at home and I'm 99% sure it's the same as MSD's standalone btm box. It's made by MSD, so there's a chance they have a wiring diagram on their website. If I remember, the box itself had power, ground, and two wires that tapped into the wires going to the coil.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the vortech also has a vacuum port on it, was going to try and run it without a custom tune for a while since the place id like to have it tuned at is 2 hours away. i am running a fmu, i know how to wire it up alone i just don't know how to wire it up in sync with the digital 6al installed since the wires got to the same places, (coil, positive, negative, etc) just not sure if I splice them in together

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I have never owned one of these but, from a quick glance at pictures on google images, you have the wrong harness that connects from the coil to the original connector.

Look at the wires at the connectors

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well im definitely missing that split connection, my ignition boost control only has one plug and the dial, and my dial goes from 1-15 not 1-3...guess the guy i got it from got one over on me

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not making any boost yet, its still in the making. i have a 9lb pulley on it and I'm running cobra heads and intake, 70mm tb 80mm mass air, bbk shorty headers, with 30lb injectors

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
also my control knob that came with the vortech kit says ignition timing on it and the number go 1-15, id imagine it serves the same purpose are the boost retard switch that goes 0-3 correct?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
9lbs will probably need a tune. You may get buy with 30s and a fmu for a while but, I wouldn't forget about the tune. Personally, I wouldn't go past 6lbs with a fmu...at least not without a wideband.

You will most likely want to step up injector size before you go to the dyno too. I have 42's and am really pushing them a bit harder than is recommended with very little timing up top. You can try to compensate by raising the fuel pressure but, that will need to be known by the tuner. It may make the bill go up as well.

The switch, I have no idea how that works. The 1-3 dial pulls 1 to 3 degrees for every 1+ psi. There is no way you can pull 15 degrees for every pound. If I had to take a guess, I would say that the dial is actually for cranking an engine with high compression. But, that is just a guess. It is possible that it will only pull 1-3 degrees like the other dial since it is paired with that vortech ignition. I bet it is really for a different ignition system though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
from what I've researched over the years people rarely see the 9lbs powerdyne claims, i bought this kit years a go and my mustang was in storage so im using what i have and trying to piece it together. i will be installing a wideband to keep an eye on my air/fuel, i received my msd plug today so i hope to get it all wired up today and i will post back with updates, thanks again for all the input and help

·
Registered
23 Posts
I wouldnt be to concerned with a powerdyne, MSD is junk , better coil will do good, your not going to have spark blowout issues with that blower.

·
Registered
21,872 Posts
Hey guys, I have a 95 mustang gt and I'm currently in the middle of my powerdyne bd11a install. My question is that I have an msd digital 6al installed and also have a vortech ignition boost control box that came with the blower, how do I wire the vortech box, I've searched for hours and can't find anything except for a fox body install but that is not the same. Any help is much appreciated as I am at a stand still with this
sell the box

get a tuning device, and use the ECM to control timing, correctly

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
the one I see cuts fuel...

I don't think I'm gonna try that.

I could make a timing map that pulls a bunch...or I could just leave it alone because it works

1 - 20 of 38 Posts