Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 88 lx coupe. I had plans on putting a single turbo on it so I was looking at an on3 turbo kit. But when I was checking on craigslist I found a cx racing kit with the T76 complete for a $1000. Is this kit any good? I found an article by MM&FF and it was using one. I wanted to make around 500 rwhp and they made around that with the same kit. Any body have any experience with this kit?

·
Registered
372 Posts
When I was looking at kits I e-mailed them with some questions. I never got a response back. The stuff is good bang for the buck (from what I have heard), but is offshore. If this is your first turbo build, I would advise to spend a few more dollars upfront and get better parts and support (local).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's my first mustang turbo build. I've built a turbo Saab but that's a while different story. I've done quite a but of research but I really couldn't find anyone who had any experience with them. But I figured it out that with the transmission upgrades the turbo kit and all the fuel upgrades the kit would come to a little over $2800.

·
Registered
55 Posts
500 Hp at the wheels on boost on stock long block

Your building a grenade

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Ford Power

·
Registered
873 Posts
cx stuff is a copy of on 3's stuff, but thinner wall tubing is used. on3 has doubled the thickness in tubing since they first started.

the cx hotside can be ordered for like dirt cheap, but still.

what turbo is it?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It is the turbo they supply.

I know that the stock block is at its max there but that's about the estimate I want it at. I just want it in that range from 425-500 rwhp. Just enough to beat my bosses 05 supercharged GT.

With the tubing that size will there be significant problems?

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
thr cx racing stuff is good bang for the buck but I wouldnt count on it lasting more than a couple of years

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
It's my first mustang turbo build. I've built a turbo Saab but that's a while different story. I've done quite a but of research but I really couldn't find anyone who had any experience with them. But I figured it out that with the transmission upgrades the turbo kit and all the fuel upgrades the kit would come to a little over $2800.
Double what you plan and you will be good.
Budget in a good BOV and WG with any cheaper kit and a valvebody and input shaft for the AOD.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thr cx racing stuff is good bang for the buck but I wouldnt count on it lasting more than a couple of years
Why's that?

And to sweat90lx the transmission is going to have the valve body input shaft steel stamped drum and the 2 inch overdrive band from Broader Performance. As far as wg Bov what are some good ones that won't cost me an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thinner wall tubing will break down faster from heat sink..Their intercooler kits are pretty decent, but you should def buy better hot side stuff if their manifolds are thin. Heat will crack them. and you'll be welding on them all the time :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Also, keep saving cash and watching Cr***slist.. on3's come up all the time for a little over a grand, I have one sitting in the garage I picked up for a G.. Ive seen some for 1500 with all the fuel parts. I think 2800 is a realistic price for a cheaper kit build. To get you running.. But with either kit, you'll prob be pushing upwards of 12-15 psi..gonna be hard to get 500whp with stock heads in the safety zone..Some can take it, some can't..Im going to attempt it with the t70 on3 on a fox im restoring, but am fully aware it will probably go bang..So make sure you have cash on lock for a rebuild. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks man. I'm kinda leaning towards building my own kit now too. I found a precision 67mm turbo for only 400. A guy that I work with had it on his 3000gt and he's getting a divorce now so I'm going to buy that turbo. I'm picking it up this weekend.

For hot side piping what would be a good place to get that but still be thinking about my budget.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Why's that?

And to sweat90lx the transmission is going to have the valve body input shaft steel stamped drum and the 2 inch overdrive band from Broader Performance. As far as wg Bov what are some good ones that won't cost me an arm and a leg.
I have a tial knockoff BOV. I took it apart when I got it and had to clean some burrs off. RPS has their brand BOV, but they must not have any in stock because its not on their website now.
Dont go cheap on a wastegate. If it fails bad things happen. I lucked out and got a new turbosmart hypergate 45 from a friend for $200.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a tial knockoff BOV. I took it apart when I got it and had to clean some burrs off. RPS has their brand BOV, but they must not have any in stock because its not on their website now.
Dont go cheap on a wastegate. If it fails bad things happen. I lucked out and got a new turbosmart hypergate 45 from a friend for $200.
I was thinking of going turbo smart but there Bov was 450 dollars.

Another thing I was curious about is if you need a manual boost controller.

·
Registered
368 Posts
My setup is a bone stock shortblock. GT40 X heads, F cam, 93 Cobra intake, 42 lbs inj, 225 in tank pump with a msd inline pump. It has an older boost brother kit with a 67mm and made 535hp to the wheels through a world class t5 on 14 lbs of boost. I'm well aware of the consequences but turbos seem to be a little softer on the bottom end then a blower. The tune is everything in keeping it together. Keep timing down and I wouldn't rev the thing past 6,000 RPMs. Mines been together for almost a year now. Only problem I had was with the junk wastegate. So I bought a Precision gate and am converting to E85 and more boost. Wish me luck!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts