Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, here's the story: We're doing my headswap. We finally got the PITA passenger side head & header in, bolted down. We move on to the driver's side, which is SUPPOSED to be easier than the passenger side. NOT the case.

With the steering shaft disconnected, and moved out of the way,
the header WILL NOT slip in, either attached to the head as one piece, or separately, either putting it in from the bottom or top.

The problem appears to be the steering shaft, which is keeping it from dropping into proper position. Has anybody had to actually remove the whole steering shaft? We tried this, but it looks impossible to remove.... :confused:

Anybody that's done this WITHOUT REMOVING THE K-MEMBER, please help.... I'm frustrated to the point where I'm thinking about setting the car on fire and collecting the insurance. :mad:

THANKS GUYS!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I can't tell you from doing it myself, but I've never seen a shop do a longtube install without disconnecting the motor mounts and kind of picking the engine up a little. You didn't mention if you did or not. If you didn't unbolt the motor and pick it up, that might be the problem. My brother installed his own, I'll call him and try and get back to you on here.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Remove the driver side motor mount nut and jack up the engine 2 inches..lift the engine from the tranny BH and where the engine block mate...DA Sanke Boy!!!

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
man, you went with it all wrong!
i just did my head swap and i put the headers (BBK long tube) in before the heads were on the motor. they both went it from the top without removing the steering shaft or lifting the motor (on the drivers side). but i hear if you have the heads and everything on it is easiest to get the drivers side in from the bottom.

take care,
adam

·
Registered
180 Posts
I installed my BBK L/T on my 96 Cobra. Using jackstands, and leaving the K member in the car. I removed the bolts from the motor mount, and jacked the engine up as much as it would go without messing anything up. The steering shaft was pushed over against the fender well.

The header went in through the bottom, and was a very close fit. It took several tries to get it in their. The driver side was worse than the pass side. Just make sure you have the car up far enough to move the header around. I used 1 stud on the front of the head to hold the header on and then slide it into place and installed the bolts.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man, I dunno what we're doing wrong... :confused:

We are trying to put the driver's side header on without the head on the car, of course... We haven't jacked the driver's side up yet, I guess I thought it wouldn't make a big difference. We had to jack up the passenger side.

Does anybody know how to remove the steering shaft from the u-joint, or whatever it's called? My friend says it is supposed to slide down and off once it's disconnected, but he's a GM guy.

Makes me want to:

:barf:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Once you've got the bottom bolt out of the steering shaft, the only other bolt holding it in is under the dash and then it slides right out. Its not difficult at all to remove or reinstall.

EDIT: Once you remove the bottom bolt (where it connects to the rack), and you have to completely remove the bolt, you slide the bottom portion of the shaft up (like collapsing an old telescope). That should give you plenty of room without having to remove the shaft completely from the car.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Take a break from the car completely. Once you get frustrated to the point you are at, you should get your mind off of the car for a few minutes. Go to lunch or something then come back to it. Just a suggestion.

As far as installing the header, I did my header install in the absence of a K-member. However, I think the only way to go is to unbolt the motor mount nuts and jack the engine up a couple of inches.

Good luck, it will be WELL worth it the first time you take it for a drive because you will be like :eek: "now that is some nice power!"

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Unbolt the motor mounts, jack/or lift the engine up, slide the header in, secure and replace the motor on its mounts. It will go in, just needs some massaging.

goodluck,
joe

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the reply, Joe. Always appreciated. I'm going to give it a shot again tomorrow night. I've been working on this thing for three nights straight, and I'm tired of it. I was so pissed last night, it could have burned down and I would have been OK with it.

:evil:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts