Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I've changed brake pads from stock to Hawk, my left front wheel locks up before the front right. It seems that when I have the car on jack stands and rotate the front wheels, the left front has resistance while the right pretty much feels free. The car seems stop better with the new pads but isn't it dangerous to have one side lockup before the other.
For example, the roads where a little wet last night and I had to stop for some idiot and the left front was skidding and the other three were still rolling.

I changed all pads, front and back. Flushed the system out with DOT IV fluid, and installed SS lines up forward. Should I swap the left and right pads and see what happens?
What should I check/correct?

Thanks,

Clayton

·
Registered
190 Posts
Sounds like maybe a sticking caliper...........pinched caliper piston boot.......a twisted brakeline??? I cant imagine two different pads put in the same box but I guess it could happen..... good luck...

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Make sure that the SS lines have no kinks and are not damaged and make sure that side has both crush washers installed.

I had the same problem when I did the Cobra upgrade, it turned out that the banjo bolts that came with the kit were incorrect. They were not allowing all the pressure from the calipers to be released and the caliper was clamped closed. It was clamped down so hard it dragged the front tires.

This was my expeirence, may not be your problem. Just double check everything on the side that is draging and compare it to the side that is working. You might also have air in that line. I would bleed it again, the fluid is cheap enough and it's easy to do.

Eric

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to work on the car tomorrow and will keep your suggestions in mind. That pinched boot could be a possibilty because the piston had to be pushed all the way in till it was sitting level with the boot. I'll bleed the brakes again, too.

Clayton

1 - 4 of 4 Posts