Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, I'm stumpped. I'll bet this is something rather simple but I cannot find the ticking that is coming from my 96 GT as I drive past 40-50 mph. There could be ticking below that but it gets louder as I drive faster. My best description of the sound is two metal ball bearings hitting each other...tick tick tick (you get the picture). I could be wrong but I don't think it's from the engine and there doesn't seem to be any exhaust leaks. Like I said, I could be wrong. All I know for sure is that when I hit about 40-50 mph, the ticking becomes louder and you hear the echo off curbs, walls, and other cars so it get's more and more irritating. It also does this regardless of whether I excellerate...the noise happens at the same speeds in neutral.

I dunno...my last gasp is to take it to the dealer which I seriously mistrust...I don't know if they even have Ford techs working for them as they just bought out our local Ford dealership a year or so ago. Please someone, give me an idea of a possible diagnosis...I need to take care of this little thing (I hope it's little) before I move on to some mods I'm working on. Thanks.

Rich

·
Registered
906 Posts
did you check to see if it's your heads? If you have a 96, most likely those are ticking like a mofo

Besides that, before I got new rims and tires, occasionally I would hear ticking from my rim/tires but it was obvious that it was coming from them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No nails or rocks...I've had those before and I know the sound well. But I did check to make sure and there was nothing.

If it's the heads then it wouldn't be that great a deal as I am gonna swap them out for the '01's. If it were the heads, what would make the ticking noise? I mean, I do recall light ticking from the engine but this doesn't seem related...a lot louder.

Forgot to mention, my friend checked the MIL codes a while back and said (forgot number) it was a misfiring #7 cylinder, if I recall correctly. Could this be related somehow. I checked the sparks and they all seem fine so I don't know if it's something else. I should check again to see if it's still happening as my MIL has gone on and off a few times since.

I may have to bite the big one and just take it in...if for nothing else but the diagnosis. I hope someone out there has had this problem that has figured it out. Thanks guys. Still looking...

Rich

·
Registered
575 Posts
Better watch out, just in case. I had the same problem on my 1996, was coming from somewhere in the engine compartment.

Next thing I know, the rocker arm fell off the spring inside the head, the car started like sh*t, and smoking.

Luckily, I was doing the headswap soon anyways.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had a similar ticking noise in my 98 GT, coming from what sounded like just beyond the firewall on the passengers side. Only occured past 50-60 mph or so, totally intermittent. Drove me crazy for about a year.

When they pulled my engine out for the motor swap (see sig), they found a 12mm socket in the valley under the intake, apparently left by the guy who replaced the bracket on my S-Trim when the idler pulley broke :rolleyes: Makes sense, since I recall the noise starting right after that...

You might also find some "surprises" under the intake when you do the head swap...

Chris

·
Registered
2 Posts
look for a bad sparkplug wire (especially if you have a #7 misfire)or maybe a lifter tick. Try some amsoil 0w30 that fixed a lifter noise in my truck. good luck !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts