Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a on3 70mm turbo kit. The turbo is bad but I was going to replace that anyway. All the welds look pretty good on the hot side as well as the cold side.
Im looking to get either a precision or turbonetics turbo or any other that is a good quality turbo. I have a T4 flange. I will not be running a ton of boost on this set up. The most boost I will be running is 10, just at the track, and 8 around town. these are my supporting mods on the car now:

stock block, pistons, rods, crank ( fresh build about 15k on it)
TFS stage 1 cam
TFS twisted wedge heads, 170's, 1.6 rockers (will have before the kit goes on)
gt40 intake
70mm TB
255 intank fuel pump
42lb injectors
SCT blow through maf

I want to run between 400-425 HP. I just want a reliable turbo set up and I know precision and turbonetics makes quality stuff im just not sure what size/model number I need.

other related questions I have:
-If you guys can think of any other supporting mods I need, please let me know.
-I know I need a catch can that can breathe, so wheres a pretty good one that wont break the bank or is this one of those things you gotta suck it up and get a good one?
-is it possiable to make your own oil return line to the oil pan or am I just better off buying a kit?
-will I need a in line fuel pump along with my 255 intank? if so, whats a good one, again trying no to break the bank?

This is my first turbo charged car so im a noob to it! Thanks guys

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
either the precision 6262 or 6266 would be more than enough. I personally would do the 6266 with a .81 turbine a/r. it would give you tons of power and torque down low

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
either the precision 6262 or 6266 would be more than enough. I personally would do the 6266 with a .81 turbine a/r. it would give you tons of power and torque down low
out of those I would go with the 6262 but its still pricey. im trying to stay around the 600-800 dollar range. Is that possible to do and still get a quality turbo?

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
only if you can find one used in good shape. even the turbonetics units are around $1000 brand new. its worth the extra $200 for a precision 6262. You can find some of the borg warner units a little cheaper and many people use those

·
Registered
179 Posts
Go with a 7065 precision turbo I know it's supports more power than your wanting but it gives you room to grow. On catch tank go to I think last page on the quick time thread and there is a pic of a customers car that we did. Used a vibrant performance catch tank.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
any idea why the On3 turbo failed? I have not read many issues with them

was told the by the guy that i bought it from that he ran it for around an hour, wasnt getting enough oil pressure to it but took it on a cruise anyway and when he returned oil was comming out the exhaust. He wasnt to smart about it, didnt have a boost gauge, no chip no nothing. just put the small spring in it and trusted it. I picked up the kit for dirt cheap. I will be selling the 70mm on3 turbo he gave me with it. there is no shaft play on the cold side. a tad bit on the exhaust side. an new seal kit is like $35 from on3.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Go with a 7065 precision turbo I know it's supports more power than your wanting but it gives you room to grow. On catch tank go to I think last page on the quick time thread and there is a pic of a customers car that we did. Used a vibrant performance catch tank.
im not sure thats the right turbo for me. my cold section is 3in and that turbo has a 4in. just seems like that turbo is way to big for what im trying to do. I really dont need room to grow, if I decide I need to go faster, I will start a 351 motor build. thanks for the suggestion though. what do you guys sell with your entry level turbo kits for 5.0's?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For an external fuel pump you can pick up a Vortech T rex on here for cheap. I made my own drain line with two -10 push loc fittings and hose.[/QUOTE]

my question is, will I need the inline as well? I have a 255 in tank but dont want to be starving the engine at 10psi

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
That compressor housing doesn't discharged at 4" that is the standard turbo in our base kits
is your cold section piping 4" as well? I actually checked your kits out about 3 weeks ago but cant remember. They look to be pretty high quality though. I was going to look into maybe getting one but I got such a good deal on this on3 revised kit that I couldnt pass it up. Im just not really impressed with the quality of their turbos. Not from experience, but just from what I have researched. This is a newer model so it may be better but I still wanna go to a what I feel is a better style turbo.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Also, with my set up in mind from my OP, would it be ok to run a .58 A/R turbo? how would the engine react if there was a .58 A/R rather than a .68 A/R? would it spool faster with a .58? or should I just stick with the .68?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Found out I will not need a in line. Although its good back up its not a must. I also found out what the A/R number is.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts