Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, need a little tech help here. Got everything together, and started going at the headswap. Got the deck & pistons cleaned up, and headers installed on heads.

We went to install the passenger side head/header 1st.... :mad:

But we cannot get that SOB in! We disconnected the starter, tried removing the tranny crossmember nuts and jacking the tranny up to get more clearance between the starter housing and the engine bay, but no luck.... It only needs like 1/2 " !

The instructions say "you might have to undo the motor mounts and jack engine up", but I'm wondering if there is another way.

And if jacking the engine up is required, is there only the three small bolts? (one on back side of mount, and two on front side) ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
jacking up the motor will give you the clearance that you need. just remove the motor mount and tranny mount bolts and jack the engine up a coupla inches and it should go in with a little encouraging! good luck.

·
Registered
998 Posts
What brand of headers do you have? So you CAN install the head with the header already attached? Thats cool . . .

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Umm.... They're MAC long tubes. There should be a way to do the headswap with the headers attached. At least the impression I got is that is how most people do it.

<crosses fingers>

More comments welcome, please.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Most of the people that have done the heads and headers at the same time put shorties on. I don't think I've heard of anyone puttin the LTs on the heads before putting the heads in place. I'm not so sure you would have enough room???

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The room really isn't as bad as you would think... I can get them in about 1/2 way before it gets stuck, one of the outside primaries is hitting the inside of the k-member.

But I thought most people remove the k-member to have better access to the bolts, not to actually get the long tubes in.

I really DON'T want to remove the K-member.... I'm going to try jacking that side up 2-3 inches and see if it helps. The instructions say absolutely nothing about removing the k-member, but I guess that's the way instructions go...

:confused:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts