Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how in gods name do you get the inner shift boot out?? i got all the screws out, allthough the two in the front were a ***** due to the console being in the way. How do you get the boot out though?? the metal plate its attached to is bigger than the opening in the console!! do you have to remove the console? i tried to find where it is attached but everything i unscrewed didn't seem to help any, its still solid and won't budge. the shifter doesn't look like a tough job but i'm still stuck on the boot. please help me here, i can't wait to get it in.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
i know how u feel, i couldnt wait toget my shifter in either. heres what i did....i took out my dremel tool and trimmed the part of the console that is above and towards the shifter so that i could get a socket on those things. i also pushed the console towards the dash a bit while i took them off. once i put it back together u cant even tell i trimmed it. hope this helps. good luck

·
Registered
160 Posts
Make sure you have all 4 bolts out, 2 in front and 2 in back. It might be stuck down so you may have to pull on it a little. Once you get it loose just angle it and it will come out through the opening.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
ok i feel stupid. i thought u wanted to know how to get the front screws out. just pull up on the boot and u can get it out of the opening. its a little tricky but it i will come out like was said above..

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok well i got that boot out. i took off the handle and it came out with a little persuasion. if anyone is debating getting an aftermarket shifter, it is definitely worth it! it feels so much better now. it didn't feel all that different when i was changing gears in the car right after i put it in, but once i drove it the difference was night and day.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh two more question....HOW do you take off the console, since its already been stated that its easy:rolleyes: , and second do they make a different outer boot? the one i have now looks really scrunched up with the new shifter. thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts