Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well the bbk LT's and O/R hipe are working out pretty well. I got the interference with the k member figured out and now they do not rub anywheere.

I still have one problem, if it is a problem. when ever the engine is decelerating. (I rev it up to 4K and let off the gas) I hear what sound like valves pinging, this is only on deceleration, basically when the throttle plate closes.

I removed the air pump when i installed the headers, because of the miss alingment of the air injection tube on the drivers side. I am wondering if this could be the cause of the noise. I have a stock cat back system, once agian with bbk lt's and bkk o/r h pipe.

this noise is not the typical 'pop..pop' sound. and is more audable when you are in the car. it may not even be a ping sound but like valve rattle.

any ideas?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds like a 'valve rattle' I dont think the valve are floating at 4K :)

plus you would hear that during acceleration of the motor.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Are you sure it is not just the burble most of us hear on deceleration sounding different with the long tubes. Or could it be a small leak sucking in air and causing a small backfire in the tubes?? I dont know just throwing out ideas for you.

Dwayne

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not, the typical burble.

·
Registered
277 Posts
O/R's are weird on the 4.6L's. Many people get a pinging sound on acceleration somewhere in the 2-4k range, but this is "normal" for some reason (maybe just the valvetrain natural sound you're hearing). Haven't heard much about it on deceleration, but when you combine an O/R with stock cat-back, you get some REAL weird and eratic exhaust sounds (bass to ratter-tatter-pat-pat to more bass). I wouldn't worry about it if you didn't hear the sound until right after you installed the O/R.

Lon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts