Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I'm in the process of completely changing my power plant and suspension. I'm about to order a MM K-Member/coil-overs ect. that will work with my single turbo set-up. The negative is I'm not sure if the front sway bar is going to fit. I have read increased spring rate/strut setting will counteract the negative of this but, I would like some opinion. I will be using D-Spec Struts and shocks with the Saleen rear springs that are standard on the car. The car spends 98% of its time on the street (spirited driving) but, I enjoy light auto-crossing, the occasional track day as well as a trip or two to the drag strip each year.

Thanks for your inputs.

·
Authorized corral.net Advertiser
579 Posts
I have run this way before on my autocross car with various expiriements and the spring rates needed were positively astronomical. IIRC, something like 800 or 1000# coilovers.

I also tried it on another car I co-owned which had springs in the stock position. It was completely undriveable on the autocross course with no front bar, despite the 1800# front springs.

Street use would be a lot different in good and bad ways, IMO. The most glaring issue is that you might need such high spring rate to get even "safe" handling that the ride will suck.

Just opinions - others may have different experiences...

DaveW

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
The stock 2001 GT 27mm hollow swaybar has a wheel rate of about 190lbs/in in roll, mounted to the car. If you remove it, to get the same roll stiffness with coilovers, you would need to add about 230lbs/in to the coilover spring rate. This will require much stiffer strut valving to match. It will also give the car a very poor ratio of front to rear suspension resonant frequencies. This will cause the car to pitch a lot and be very uncomfortable to drive. To compensate, you would need to remove the rear swaybar and add a lot of spring rate and shock damping to the rear also.

It could possibly be made to work, but it would be a project with a lot of testing and parts swapping required. Not recommended.

A modular front swaybar can be fabricated to clear just about any turbo plumbing in the front. This would be much easier to do.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the great info!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts