Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just finished my on 3 install and got her satrted. engine stumbles and lopes hard and refuses to stay running. while on the gas she smokes as well then dies.
during the turbo install i also deleted the a/c and smog pump. also upgraded the pump, injectors, and maf to 42#, and gapped the plugs acording to the instructions.

Really need some help, this car needs to be running by the end of the weekend so we can take her to the dyno.

thanks for any help

·
Registered
721 Posts
Try holding the gas pedal to the floor while you start it,that's what I had to do to mine.also check TPS voltage and IAC. Might have to do the base idle reset. I would set timing to 10* and see see if it stays running,then get it up to the dyno.

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
Check your plug wires and injector harness on the right injectors.

If you didn't mess with the timing it shouldn't be a problem. Same with iac and tps, if you didn't touch it it should be ok.

Focus on what you changed.

Minor leaks won't cause complete non operation.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, tps voltage ok, didnt mess w/ the iac. seems like its choking out from being too rich? got a backfire sometimes. my pump is on a switch and when it starts to die i can toggle on/off and it will recover. im not thinking its a vac leak anymore though. to get it to even start i have to floor it, then rap on it abit to keep it running along with the pump switch.

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
  1. Did you verify that injector harness plugs are all on the right injectors?
  2. Did you verify the plug wires are on properly?
  3. Verify that the mass air meter is in fact correctly matched to the 42 lb injectors (there seems to be a bunch of mass air meter problems lately)
  4. Did you do anything to the fuel pressure regulator? Depending on how big a fuel pump change you made this could require adjustment, but shouldn't necessarily cause the car not to run..
  5. Fuel filter? Any change there? They can actually go in backwards and they don't flow right that way.
If you didn't change the timing it shouldn't be that. The existance of a turbo doesn't require different timing to start, it just requires less timing under boost. It will run with the timing too high, will likely just hurt the motor.

02 sensors? Are they plugged in?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Are you configured as a draw through or blow through? Check the placement of the MAF and make sure it's not on backwards and in the proper place for the blow through set up ( after the intercooler and on the straight piece of tubing ). If your running draw through ( MAF before the turbo; don't because it's not the best config. for this set up )

also check the connection of the maf and make sure you the wire going into the plug are correct

anybody else????

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the injectors seem to be plugged in right, the wires are so short it only fits one way. no change with the fuel filter, went from stock pump to 255lph. o2's were plugged in then i also tried it with them unplugged. i ended up deciding to work backwards from the turbo, found 2 vbands that looked suspect, flanges not exaclty lined up. upon further inspection found that the front plug wire on the passanger sige was loose along with the plug.

in short i will be totally working backwards and going through it all once again. silly little things that componded and could have been prevented.

Just to be safe though i do want to check the mas air meter, how could i outside of the writing on it? hopefully these little things solve my issues. i will let ya know the outcome, thanks for your help

·
Registered
806 Posts
Check your plug wires and injector harness on the right injectors.

If you didn't mess with the timing it shouldn't be a problem. Same with iac and tps, if you didn't touch it it should be ok.

Focus on what you changed.

Minor leaks won't cause complete non operation.

How was the car running before the install? Your car needs to be mechanically sound before the tune, because tuning doesn't fix those issues.

Did you do any kind of wire harness change? ( This happened to me going from 4 cylinder to 8 )

focus on what you changed X2

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm gonna guess here, but I think changing to the larger injectors without changing that in the tune is going to make it run the way you described. Your pulse width, etc, is all wrong until you get it tuned for them. I am assuming you are EFI .

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'm gonna guess here, but I think changing to the larger injectors without changing that in the tune is going to make it run the way you described. Your pulse width, etc, is all wrong until you get it tuned for them. I am assuming you are EFI .
Exactly. My car did the same exact thing until I got it tuned. :)

·
Registered
806 Posts
I got it........What kind of MAF are you using ( If your running a C&L make sure you have the green indicator/marker inside)! IF not a C&L make sure your MAF is cal for your injectors.

Did you check the little wire inside the MAF tube?

Lastly if you have a spare ECU swap it out and see if that the problem. I also had a bad ECU that gave me similar problems.

Even without a tune you should be able to drive it around a little

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok heres an update. fixxed the small problems i noted earlier in the post, seems to be alot better. going to set timing to 10* and take her to the dyno. thanks everyone for the help! will be posting the numbers from the dyno as soon as i get them in. thanks again all

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so now i have oil from the exhaust side of the turbo, got with on3 and they thought it was drain line. redone it three times and no change. whats going on here im getting ready to pull my hair out

·
Registered
806 Posts
You might just be ready to go!!
If everything is installed correctly all your ready for is the tune. Not all cars respond to major mods the same. Some will start right up and Can be driven, others can't and need a tune asap.

Good luck

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You might just be ready to go!!
If everything is installed correctly all your ready for is the tune. Not all cars respond to major mods the same. Some will start right up and Can be driven, others can't and need a tune asap.

Good luck
i have oil coming from exhaust side of turbo. after that gets fixxed id say id be ready but im at a loss right now and really need some help

1 - 20 of 65 Posts