Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I do not have a Lightning but I do have a 96 5.8L mass air engine to go into my 1983 Capri. I am going to run the engine with stock heads, a set of swap headers and a Edelbrock performer 351w intake. induction system is a GO EFI 400hp Fitech system that is running my 5.0L right now. Now to run this engine on the street I was thinking of swapping in a 5.0L HO cam in the place of the 5.8L cam.

Please give me your thoughts.

·
Registered
594 Posts
If your not sd. I would go bigger than a 5.0 cam. That's pretty much what sd trucks do which I'm gonna do. My previous L had a 5.0 cam and I loved it though.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Go with the ho 5.0 cam if your that cheap
And make sure adj on valve train is Correct k
And correct push rod length

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am going with a Fitech go efi system. I guess it is a speed density system but it is not controlled by a Ford computer.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Damn. I need to switch to maf asap! Looking for a kit but it's a pita to find one.

·
Registered
244 Posts
There was a really good deal at NLOC.NET not too long ago, may still be there.. You may already be a member over there I don't know..

Damn. I need to switch to maf asap! Looking for a kit but it's a pita to find one.
OP.. As mentioned above the 5.0ho cam is a decent choice for us SD guys but you can get away with a lot more having Mass Air. If $$$ wasn't and issue I would have one custom ground to meet your specific needs. FWIW I ran the 5.0HO cam in my 93 lightning a few years back, cheap and a mild gain.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I am on nloc but the kit sold to someone else. I actually just got in the mail today a fms maf kit just need ecu and maf sensor. Just can’t find a ecu.

My previous lightning had a 5.0 cam. Ran great but would like a custom grind with trick flow 11r heads.

·
USAF retired
9,038 Posts
I know it's old, but do the mustang mass air conversion kits from LMR not work on lightnings?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I would think you could do way better than a stock HO cam unless you already have purchased it and got a good deal on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In my 89 F150 I have an f4te 5.8 with an HO cam. I love it, plus I only paid 20 bucks for it. Im sure my 5.8 would be so much better with better heads and a better intake over the stock truck 5.8 stuff.

I also have the old ford motorsports MAF kit on my truck.

EDIT: Just noticed how old this thread is oops lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts