Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 GT 5 speed, and with in the last few weeks, i have been noticing my 1st to 2nd gear shift has been getting harder and harder to shift at high rpms. I bought a Steeda Tri Ax and it made a night and day difference for all the rest of the gears but i still have the same problem for 1st to 2nd. I changed to Redline ATF D4 and the problem still remained. My problem is the problem only occurs when i try to shift fast at high rpms, over 4000 rpms to be exact. What should I do, its still under factory warranty, and its a T 45 and i suspect its the synchro, yet it shifts perfect under normal driving, if i take it in, whats the best way to do it. Will they try to tell me that there is no problem since it does not happen when you shift normal, or should i just keep driving it until the problem starts occuring during normal shifting. Or should i take them on a test drive and demonstrate the problem, will they deny it for abuse? Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
it does sound like a synchro since you even switched to Redline. I would definately clean the car up a bit (maybe even put the factory shifter back on there so it will be less of a hassle if your dealership isn't "mod-friendly") like 12secyellow98 mentioned & then take it in.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I agree with the others. Probably is a synchro starting to go bad. These trannys suck...glad I went to AOD :D

-Adam

·
Registered
354 Posts
uh, i thought the 99+ Gt's had different tranny's than the 96-98 GT's..... the 3650 or something? I'm NOT saying this is a fact, just what i thought......I too have a 1st to 2nd gear grind at high RPM's on my 96 GT with only 24,8XX miles.....yeah, pretty sucky. Gos into the shop next week.....still under used car warranty, but will they cover it??? we'll see.

Matt

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
The TR3650 (from what I understand) began its tenure in mid 01' and continues in the GT line currently.

My suggestion would be to check the driveline section and buy someones near new 3650. You could probably pick one up for 800 or so, maybe less. The 3650 is not silky and smooth, but it seems to put up with all the abuse I can dish out and shifts consistantly for me above 5200 rpm with minimal effort.

No one has mentioned the possibility of the clutch vacu-holding at high rpms. I have seen references that suggest at high rpm the clutch pedal may stick to the floor, while the problem you seem to be having is the opposite ( another assumption), that could be worth looking at, maybe mal-adjusted, or in need of replacement.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
r3dn3ck said:
The TR3650 (from what I understand) began its tenure in mid 01' and continues in the GT line currently.

My suggestion would be to check the driveline section and buy someones near new 3650. You could probably pick one up for 800 or so, maybe less. The 3650 is not silky and smooth, but it seems to put up with all the abuse I can dish out and shifts consistantly for me above 5200 rpm with minimal effort.

No one has mentioned the possibility of the clutch vacu-holding at high rpms. I have seen references that suggest at high rpm the clutch pedal may stick to the floor, while the problem you seem to be having is the opposite ( another assumption), that could be worth looking at, maybe mal-adjusted, or in need of replacement.

Just my $.02
Hell, I'll sell you my old TR-3650 for $500 plus shipping if you want. I had a local Ford dealer replace the 1-2 shift fork and freshen it up before I replaced it with the TKO. PM or email me at [email protected] if you are interested.

Derrick

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well i have done research on this and any 2001 made after Feb of 2001 got the TR 3650, I on the other hand purchased my 2001 in early January 2001 and it was made November 2000 if remember correctly, so i got stuck with a t-45 and to think this whole time I had a TR 3650 since i had a 2001. Anyways, the important question i have this that no one has answered like i said is that the problem only arises when you try to shift in the higher rpm range, yet this problem will not show it self with normal shifting, what would be the best way to show them the problem with out having them bring up an issue of abuse or racing due to the nature of the problem and when its happening. My line of thought tells me to just keep shifting hard until the problem gradually gets worse and it occurs when normal shifting so they have no excuse to not perform the warranty work. And of course i would tear of that Tri Ax to bring it in.. By the way thanks for all your help on this matter guys.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Pikkastang said:
Well i have done research on this and any 2001 made after Feb of 2001 got the TR 3650, I on the other hand purchased my 2001 in early January 2001 and it was made November 2000 if remember correctly, so i got stuck with a t-45 and to think this whole time I had a TR 3650 since i had a 2001. Anyways, the important question i have this that no one has answered like i said is that the problem only arises when you try to shift in the higher rpm range, yet this problem will not show it self with normal shifting, what would be the best way to show them the problem with out having them bring up an issue of abuse or racing due to the nature of the problem and when its happening. My line of thought tells me to just keep shifting hard until the problem gradually gets worse and it occurs when normal shifting so they have no excuse to not perform the warranty work. And of course i would tear of that Tri Ax to bring it in.. By the way thanks for all your help on this matter guys.
I had a T-45 on my 96 GT and it did the same thing. Shifting quickly at 5000 RPM is not abuse. As long as you are within the designed operation limits (before redline) the transmission must perform regularly. Take it to the dealer and have them come on a ride along. Take it up to 5000 RPM and shift it quickly. It will grind and they will have to deal with it. It would probably be a good idea to remove the shifter, so they can't blame it. I took my 96 in 3 times for the tranny and had it replaced all 3 times (twice under regular warranty once under the extended warranty).

Derrick

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
BTW - You could ask that a tech or service advisor tag along for a ride in order to avoid any "abuse" / joyride situations by dealer personnel (request it, what's the worst that could happen? they say no. No biggie)...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts