Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so slight update. had the tuner come and tune the car. Started up the car, and fired right away. Let it run for five min before driving. Drove it to the corner, half throttle and pulled over to log. Made a right and in first gear floored it and would not go past 3000 rpm. pulled over and logged again.....did a second gear pull full throttle and still wont go past 3000 rmp. (mind you I did start off in 1st and light throttle till i bumped it to second gear....) Pulled it in the drive way and pulled spark plugs for compression test. All cylinders were between 140 and 160, so im assuming i have good compression.

Now my stall is a 3000-3200 i believe FWIR. Do you guys think it could be the cam?

Side note. When I pulled the spout out and advanced the timing to 13* I could rev it past 4000 rpm. So this has me stumped. And frusterated.

5.8L, 97 F4TE block, vic jr heads, Keith Black pistons, stock rods, stock crank. ARP head studs, A1000 Fuel pump, Aeromotive fpr, ponydown stage 3 hotside, 76mm on3 turbo, mac dumps, Custom Comp Cam (hyd) 228/232 .564/.566 LSA 116, 1.6rr, Super victor Intake manifold, 60#injectors, 60#pmas, BOV and godspeed 44mm wastegate. tfi distributor. screamin demon ignition coil. 3g alternator, markv111 fan, A9P ecu ,built c4.....

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
What did the tuner say about that?

Does it miss, or does it just not pull?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He said he has done everything electronically he can do that it has to be mechanical. It feels like it hits a wall at 3200 wheather in first or second gear.

·
Registered
23,225 Posts
Ok, so slight update. had the tuner come and tune the car. Started up the car, and fired right away. Let it run for five min before driving. Drove it to the corner, half throttle and pulled over to log. Made a right and in first gear floored it and would not go past 3000 rpm. pulled over and logged again.....did a second gear pull full throttle and still wont go past 3000 rmp. (mind you I did start off in 1st and light throttle till i bumped it to second gear....) Pulled it in the drive way and pulled spark plugs for compression test. All cylinders were between 140 and 160, so im assuming i have good compression.

Now my stall is a 3000-3200 i believe FWIR. Do you guys think it could be the cam?

Side note. When I pulled the spout out and advanced the timing to 13* I could rev it past 4000 rpm. So this has me stumped. And frusterated.

5.8L, 97 F4TE block, vic jr heads, Keith Black pistons, stock rods, stock crank. ARP head studs, A1000 Fuel pump, Aeromotive fpr, ponydown stage 3 hotside, 76mm on3 turbo, mac dumps, Custom Comp Cam (hyd) 228/232 .564/.566 LSA 116, 1.6rr, Super victor Intake manifold, 60#injectors, 60#pmas, BOV and godspeed 44mm wastegate. tfi distributor. screamin demon ignition coil. 3g alternator, markv111 fan, A9P ecu ,built c4.....
the Log has the answers for direction

what was logged?

you need 02 response, maf volts, and fuel trims

this is no time to just do swaptronics.

unless you have the $$$$

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So after the fourth tune, I have more of an update. Car pulls hard and smooth through out rpm....however on the data log, it shows a choppy ignition. More choppy than my tuner likes to see. What could cause this? New screamin demon coil. Remanufactured distributor....msd cap....ford racing wires, new plugs gapped to .028. Guess would be 1.) bad ground to tfi, 2.) bad tfi, 3.)bad tfi and distributor.....The tuner also pointed out that when i reach higher rpm that the ignition seems to dip down after say 4500rpm...

Another problem im having is im running really hot...like 220 hot. Have a 180 thermostat i believe, and a mark8 electric fan. Mind you this 220 is after doing 8-10 pulls back to back and shutting car off,,,,with out the fan going.

and I was seeing maybe 10-12 oil psi at the end of the day of tuning. Started out at say 28-30psi.

So if you guys could throw me some info on how to check these problems, I would greatly appreciate it. I think Im 90% done with this car....Just need the extra 10% figured out.

Thank you.

·
Registered
23,225 Posts
choppy ignition in the datalog?

what do you mean?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts