Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's a better long term investment; stock aod GT or 347 5 speed?

Fox bodies are now consistently rising in value. In your opinion what will have more market value 5, 10, 15 years from now?

- a 1991 GT stock with aod
- or the same 1991 GT with a 347 and 5 speed converted

The car has 101k miles and has been repainted the stock color.

Attachments

·
Registered
641 Posts
Here is my opinion. I am the second owner of a 1989 LX 5.0 with 50,000 miles, not tooting my own horn, but probably one of the nicest cars around. Build sheets, window sticker, original delivery tags, dealer brochures, ect. Stock interior/exterior but building a 408W right now. The only modification that would be hard to remove are welded on subframe connectors.

Sure if I put it back to stock it might keep skyrocketing in value, but I have ZERO plans of ever selling the car. If it ever gets sold I will be long and dead, so it won't matter to me.

If you plan on keeping the car, don't worry about modding it. If you want to someday try and make some money off it then leave it alone. It is all about what your end goals are.

I have been on this site for 13 years. When I joined you could buy pristine original foxbodys for $5k or so. Members swore the prices would never get high due to large production numbers. Well I see ads in the classifieds where people say they have $20k+ in hand for original low mile cars.

Your car looks nice, but 101K isn't considered low miles. Plus it has had moderate paint work done, so not original. Even my 50k car isn't what some call low miles, I would think it would have to be 20K or less to be considered low miles.

Do you want to sit on a car for another 10-15 years hoping it will be worth $25k+? You could invest money now and have a better return and mod the car to your liking!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Changing engines and transmissions on a typical GT or LX 5.0 is not going to affect the value of the car a whole lot in the long run due to the high production numbers. A Cobra or possibly a Saleen would be a different story since the production numbers were far lower.

The main thing people are going to look at on the higher production cars that will have an effect on the value later on will be overall condition of the car itself.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Fox bodies are now consistently rising in value. In your opinion what will have more market value 5, 10, 15 years from now?

- a 1991 GT stock with aod
- or the same 1991 GT with a 347 and 5 speed converted

The car has 101k miles and has been repainted the stock color.
The car already has 100k on it so while it might be a clean car that high mileage is not going to bring a lot of guys in looking for an investment grade stock car.

Now, take that car and build it into a fun and fast driver that is extremely well built, no corners cut and well sorted out. That will be an attractive car to buyers.

Build a car that YOU want to drive and don't worry about what it will be worth down the road. We all lose our shirts on building cars. Just have fun and enjoy the car.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Stock car's are worth more... that said I can't leave well enough alone LOL.. I just remembered my friend has a fresh mild 347 and it's tempting to try to buy it since he isn't set on it going in his car.. I have a 114k mile 88 Notch that's a 2.3/T5 car that is begging for some HP..

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I personally own several fox bodies , and have sold a couple , for really good money .
I dont see the value increasing over the next 15 years , as they have over tbe last 2-3 .
I think your window of opportunity for flipping to make money , is narrow .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts