Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to upgrade my stock T5 to something that can handle 400rwhp and slicks. In searching Astro's website; it appears that their A5 trannys are all out of stock and parts availability is scarce. I like the idea of using the lightweight T5 based trannys.

The Gforce trannys seem to be pricey in comparison. There's always the TKO route but I prefer a smoother 2-3 shift.

Is T5 tranny case stretch a proven phenomenon? Should I worry?

My biggest concern is A5 parts availability now and in the future.

·
Registered
645 Posts
If you call G Force their pricing wasn’t much different than Astro. And don’t forget about Promotion trans too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
511 Posts
The A-5 gearset with a G- force case and the main shaft upgrade will take on any TKO without shifting modifications easy. I have run all the configurations of the 2 trans.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
My car made 418 at the wheels and I leave at 5500 on slicks all the time 1.61 60’. I’ve got an Astro with all the upgrades other than a stock case. My clutch is a Ram powergrip hd. I’ve probably got 50 passes on it 35 of them from the current engine, 363. I’m getting new slicks tomorrow so the 60’ should get better this week. Anyhow I’d call Astro and talk with Tony about getting you one. I really like mine and have had 0 issues with it.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My concern is availability. A5 tranny's seem to be out of stock quite often. I need to call Tony and ask why.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Thanks! No clutch tamer. Those are Hoosier QTP’s they haven’t been hooking the greatest. I’m switching to a stiff wall 26x10 Mickey Thompson et drag.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I'm looking to upgrade my stock T5 to something that can handle 400rwhp and slicks. In searching Astro's website; it appears that their A5 trannys are all out of stock and parts availability is scarce. I like the idea of using the lightweight T5 based trannys.

The Gforce trannys seem to be pricey in comparison. There's always the TKO route but I prefer a smoother 2-3 shift.

Is T5 tranny case stretch a proven phenomenon? Should I worry?

My biggest concern is A5 parts availability now and in the future.
I run a synchronized tko500 built by Liberty, no issues with 2-3 or shifting at high rpm. No parts availability problems with TKO.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I run a synchronized tko500 built by Liberty, no issues with 2-3 or shifting at high rpm. No parts availability problems with TKO.
I'm on a pretty tight budget and that makes the A5 even more attractive. As you know; I won't be shifting at high rpm's. I heard from Tony and he manufactures 75 gear sets per year. The next batch is due next spring. Unfortunately; this is the best time of the year to hit the track and cruise in AZ.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
511 Posts
That is quite a higher price, and with a stock case. You could add a G Force case with the 9310 alloy mainshaft to an Astro for about the same price that Jegs wanted. Plus the Astro gears are substantially wider at the gear tooth face. They literaly stuffed as much gear as they could in a T5 case.

·
Registered
645 Posts
The Gforce is quite a bit higher in price according to Jegs:

https://www.jegs.com/i/G-Force-Transmissions/468/GFT5-SN/10002/-1

I’m just stating what I was told when I called this past spring, I couldn’t find a price for a Gforce T5 so I called them (Gforce themselves and not Jegs) he ( I believe it was Bubba) said ship him my T5, he would build it to hold whatever I wanted, and it would be roughly 2500$. I’m sure when Jegs sells one of their units it’s marked up quite a bit. I know when I priced out building one myself versus letting them do the whole job the price was literally only a few hundred dollars more. It’s always better to talk to someone in person for the price, things can change from what their website state, especially availability of T5 parts now a days or even a good useable core if you chose that route. I also talked to Walt I believe at Pro Motion. (I’m bad with names)I wanted to buy all the parts from him and do the work myself and he said that most of the failures he had seen were from the trans not being assembled properly. Walt told me that they are not set up the same as a stock one as far as bearing clearances and shims, etc. Moral of my long winded story, call if you want a honest price and be honest with them what YOU expect in return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
645 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts