Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting a harness bar in my street car and will be keeping the stock belts in place. For the new lap belts is there any reason that I can not anchor them by using the rear pair of seat bolts? They will need to be a little longer but is this a good attachment point?

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
I hope it's OK, because that's where I've always mounted mine.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I am putting a harness bar in my street car and will be keeping the stock belts in place. For the new lap belts is there any reason that I can not anchor them by using the rear pair of seat bolts? They will need to be a little longer but is this a good attachment point?
If you are putting a harness bar in why would you bolt the belts to the floor instead of wrapping them around the bar? Just trying to make sure I understand your question.

Most harness manufacturers recommend the shoulder harness not be mounted more than 1 to 4 inches below the shoulder. This is to prevent spinal compression and potentially breaking the seat (and your back) in the event of an accident. If you are routing the harness over the harness bar and then down to the floor to anchor it that would seem reasonable but getting the proper harnesses that wrap around the bar to mount seems easier and safer.

Just my $.02.

·
Registered
309 Posts
If you are putting a harness bar in why would you bolt the belts to the floor instead of wrapping them around the bar? Just trying to make sure I understand your question.

Most harness manufacturers recommend the shoulder harness not be mounted more than 1 to 4 inches below the shoulder. This is to prevent spinal compression and potentially breaking the seat (and your back) in the event of an accident. If you are routing the harness over the harness bar and then down to the floor to anchor it that would seem reasonable but getting the proper harnesses that wrap around the bar to mount seems easier and safer.

Just my $.02.
100% correct. Here's my old setup and how you should mount your straps.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
If you are putting a harness bar in why would you bolt the belts to the floor instead of wrapping them around the bar?
Because he's talking about the LAP belts?

...For the new lap belts is there any reason that I can not anchor them by using the rear pair of seat bolts?...

·
Registered
309 Posts
Oops, I got thrown off too. Nothing wrong with mounting them to the rear two seat bolts. Or another idea you can see in my pic is mount them to your existing seat belt points. Mine are done this way and the stock belts are still there. Plenty of room if you decide to leave the stock stuff and mount the new ones.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Oh wait, *I* got thrown off too :rofl: I thought the OP meant using the existing lap belt bolts, not the seat bolts.

Personally, I would NOT use the seat bolts, because IMHO their bolt holes are not typically reinforced the same way the seat belt bolt holes are. I'd just use the existing seatbelt bolt locations for the lap belts.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Oh wait, *I* got thrown off too :rofl: I thought the OP meant using the existing lap belt bolts, not the seat bolts.

Personally, I would NOT use the seat bolts, because IMHO their bolt holes are not typically reinforced the same way the seat belt bolt holes are. I'd just use the existing seatbelt bolt locations for the lap belts.
LOL. I had to go back and re-read it again too. You are correct. He did say lap belts, but the post title threw me and I thought he was going to mount the shoulder harness belts to the rear seat belt mounting points. :D

Hotmustang95 - Great Pic.

Totally agree with you though. The seat mounting points are not well reinforced. The SSP Mustangs used to crack their under heavy use so Ford came out with reinforcements for the floor pan. I suppose if you had the MM FL SF's that the rear seat bolts went through that might do it... :confused:

·
Registered
574 Posts
Even if the floor was reinforced, I can't see that mounting to the rear seat bolts would be any good for the routing, they'd be forced to deviate from their natural path because they'd most likely be touching the back of the seat or worse, the seat track. You definately don't want the belts rubbing or touching things on their way to their location. This leaves room for them to either become frayed from the rubbing or to move along the point their touching in the case of an impact.

If I were you, I'd get the type of harness that uses the eylet bolts to mount the lap straps. You can use eyelet bolts in place of the stock bolts and run them over the stock belts, then mount the harnesses to the eyelets. This resolves the issue of having to sandwich both the stock and harness lap belts through the bolt threaded area. Just make sure you get long enough eyelet bolts to work with the stock belts (the ones that came with my Schroth harnesses wouldn't have been long enough to do that). You can buy the eyelet bolts through race supply sites like Pegasus.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oops, I got thrown off too. Nothing wrong with mounting them to the rear two seat bolts. Or another idea you can see in my pic is mount them to your existing seat belt points. Mine are done this way and the stock belts are still there. Plenty of room if you decide to leave the stock stuff and mount the new ones.
Yeah I wanted to mount outboard lap belt the way yours looks to be but OEM bolt is not long enough to go thru OEM belt and new lap belt. If I got a longer bolt I don't think that the OEM belt would be able to pivot the way it does on the factory bolt. Also how is your inboard belt mounted?

·
Registered
529 Posts
If I were you, I'd get the type of harness that uses the eylet bolts to mount the lap straps. You can use eyelet bolts in place of the stock bolts and run them over the stock belts, then mount the harnesses to the eyelets. This resolves the issue of having to sandwich both the stock and harness lap belts through the bolt threaded area. Just make sure you get long enough eyelet bolts to work with the stock belts (the ones that came with my Schroth harnesses wouldn't have been long enough to do that). You can buy the eyelet bolts through race supply sites like Pegasus.
What he said! Been there! Done that!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Yeah, that was me blowing a head gasket in the second session. Car handled great up to that point even on 6 year old Toyo tires! I shoud have a new engine in it for the MCSCC Wheel-to-Wheel drivers school in July. I just need to remove the old engine and put the IT preped one in that I bought for just this reason years ago.

·
Registered
574 Posts
When I saw that your sig showed a Scirocco and that you were from Chicago, I thought of the car from Sat. I was right behind you when the gasket let go. Small world.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts